Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
Nyack College School of Education alumna Alyssa Rice Cruz (’13), presented a paper at the 2017 National Educational Research Association Conference. Her strong body of research in technology-infused lesson planning, which she developed in collaboration with Dr. Marie C. White, School of Education associate professor and educational psychologist, is a methodology she uses in the school where she teaches in the Bronx.
The paper, “Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning in the Third Grade Urban Classroom Setting” examines components that are effective and powerful tools to engage students in self-monitoring using meaningful curriculum and data driven instruction. The adaptive use of technology encourages students to self-evaluate while exploring content in a topical format with goals for developing higher-order thinking skills.
While Dr. White and other mentoring faculty who prepared Alyssa for her career are well aware of her exceptional work, it was also noticed by the CEO of a company at the conference. He praised her work in a letter that Alyssa shared with her Nyack mentors, which said “I truly believe your approach should be molded and set as a basis for all educators of all grades, or even a business on its own.”
“Teacher candidates are instructed to be ‘the salt of the earth,’” says School of Education dean, Dr. JoAnn Looney. They are to season and enrich the lives of others. They are to become the preservative of hope and encouragement to others. Ultimately, they are to become healing agents serving others who need help overcoming the difficulties of life.”
Learn more about the Nyack College School of Education.
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>