NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
The Eighth Annual National Hispanic Education Summit and the Ninth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium will take place at both New York campuses of Nyack College: on Wednesday, November 8 at 2 Washington Street in Manhattan and on Thursday, November 9 on the Rockland County campus in Nyack.
This joint event is sponsored by Nyack College’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE), which directed by Dr. Vilma "Nina" Balmaceda (top left) and the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference’s (NHCLC) Faith and Education Coalition, directed by Dr. Andrea Ramirez (top center). This two-day gathering will include plenary sessions and workshops addressing the theme, “In Search of Accountability in Closing Educational Gaps.” (See details.)
The opening plenary session on Wednesday, November 8 in New York City will feature Dr. Balmaceda, CSGE director on “Seeking equity in education as part of the biblical imperative to do justice.” Thursday’s plenary speakers are Mr. Jer Swigart (bottom left), founder of The Global Immersion Project and Ms. Nohemi Hernandez (center right), a college student majoring in communications, will address “Mending the Divides: Creative Love in a Conflicted World.” The closing plenary will feature Dr. Irvin Scott, (far right) senior lecturer on education at Harvard University. His topic will be “A Macro-View of Education Equity and Predictions of Hispanic Educational Outcomes.”
Breakout sessions include topics such as “Hispanic Students and College Graduation: A Four-year Game Plan;” “Equipping Church Leaders: Raising Highly Capable Kids,” “Teachers as Culturally Proactive Agents Through Cycles of Self-Regulation,” “Latino Doctoral Students in Counseling Programs: Navigating Professional Identity Within a Predominately White American Profession,” “Structural Constraints Limiting Latino Students” College Recruiting and Admissions,” The Role of ‘Institutional Agents’ in the College Choice Process for Latino(a) Students.”
Admission is free. See information on registration.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>