Commencement Address: "Fix What's Broken!"
“Fix what’s broken!” Dr. John M. Perkins, challenged the Class of 2007 at the 2:00 p.m. Commencement ceremony held at Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY today. What’s “broken,” he declared to nearly 600 college and seminary graduates, is “family and community.”
The author and pioneer of community development and racial reconciliation said, “the people of God are a family of God…people living in relationship with each other,” just as “the church in the New Testament was a community.”
Perkins pointed out that people err by regarding the Bible more as a book of inspiration than as a book of application. He exhorted his Christian listeners to take up the responsibility not to simply hear the Word of God, but to do the Word of God. The five components of his call to action are that people embrace the Word of God as the truth, commit to a prayer life that is selfless, reconcile others to God, regard the church as a center to equip people for the work of the gospel and establish a philosophy of ministry with intention that fits one’s DNA.
An Honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary was conferred on Dr. Perkins just prior to his Commencement address. This humble man with a third-grade education adds the Nyack/ATS honorary doctorate to seven others he has received from Wheaton, Gordon, Huntington, Geneva, Spring Arbor, North Park and Belhaven Colleges.
A second honorary degree, Doctor of Letters from Nyack College, College of Arts and Sciences, was awarded to Mr. Peter Dys, president of Shell Point Retirement Community, a continuing care retirement community in Fort Myers, FL. Mr. Dys is a longtime servant-leader with the Christian and Missionary Alliance and advocate for the senior citizen population nationwide.
- Nyack College Golf Class Return to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Browse Blog Archive>>