EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
This past Saturday, September 16, the Rockland County campus of Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary buzzed with excitement as the sixth year of Empower, a seven-month certificate program for women kicked off its 2017-2018 year of study. With the program’s articulation agreement between the C&MA Metro District and Nyack/ATS, students earn six credits towards a earning a degree at Nyack College or Alliance Theological Seminary. Empower equips and motivates the personal spiritual formation of women as they navigate the various roles and commitments in their lives. Classes are held monthly from September through April with a weekend retreat in January.
“We are delighted to launch another session of Empower with over 130 women in the three tracks,” commented the program’s director, Dr. Wanda Walborn. The three modules are Empower 1, the pre-requisite for Empower Engage (training for mentors) and Empower Proclaim that coaches women in their public speaking skills as they teach and preach as well as share stories and testimonies.
In addition to women who travel from the Tri-State New York area, Pennsylvania and Ohio, a growing number participate via livestream from their homes in California, Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Mentoring is provided for both classroom and livestreaming students in small groups held the last two hours of the day that runs from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
The September Empower 1 session included teaching by “Understanding the Old Testament” by Dr. Linda Warren; “Cultivating a Listening Ear” and "Prayer Model," by Dr. Wanda Walborn. “Listening to God for Questions & Activating Prophetic Listening,” was the focus of Empower Engage for mentors conducted by Mrs. Lisa Plunket and Mrs. Kim Valenzuela.
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Browse Blog Archive>>