EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
This past Saturday, September 16, the Rockland County campus of Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary buzzed with excitement as the sixth year of Empower, a seven-month certificate program for women kicked off its 2017-2018 year of study. With the program’s articulation agreement between the C&MA Metro District and Nyack/ATS, students earn six credits towards a earning a degree at Nyack College or Alliance Theological Seminary. Empower equips and motivates the personal spiritual formation of women as they navigate the various roles and commitments in their lives. Classes are held monthly from September through April with a weekend retreat in January.
“We are delighted to launch another session of Empower with over 130 women in the three tracks,” commented the program’s director, Dr. Wanda Walborn. The three modules are Empower 1, the pre-requisite for Empower Engage (training for mentors) and Empower Proclaim that coaches women in their public speaking skills as they teach and preach as well as share stories and testimonies.
In addition to women who travel from the Tri-State New York area, Pennsylvania and Ohio, a growing number participate via livestream from their homes in California, Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Mentoring is provided for both classroom and livestreaming students in small groups held the last two hours of the day that runs from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
The September Empower 1 session included teaching by “Understanding the Old Testament” by Dr. Linda Warren; “Cultivating a Listening Ear” and "Prayer Model," by Dr. Wanda Walborn. “Listening to God for Questions & Activating Prophetic Listening,” was the focus of Empower Engage for mentors conducted by Mrs. Lisa Plunket and Mrs. Kim Valenzuela.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>