EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
This past Saturday, September 16, the Rockland County campus of Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary buzzed with excitement as the sixth year of Empower, a seven-month certificate program for women kicked off its 2017-2018 year of study. With the program’s articulation agreement between the C&MA Metro District and Nyack/ATS, students earn six credits towards a earning a degree at Nyack College or Alliance Theological Seminary. Empower equips and motivates the personal spiritual formation of women as they navigate the various roles and commitments in their lives. Classes are held monthly from September through April with a weekend retreat in January.
“We are delighted to launch another session of Empower with over 130 women in the three tracks,” commented the program’s director, Dr. Wanda Walborn. The three modules are Empower 1, the pre-requisite for Empower Engage (training for mentors) and Empower Proclaim that coaches women in their public speaking skills as they teach and preach as well as share stories and testimonies.
In addition to women who travel from the Tri-State New York area, Pennsylvania and Ohio, a growing number participate via livestream from their homes in California, Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Mentoring is provided for both classroom and livestreaming students in small groups held the last two hours of the day that runs from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
The September Empower 1 session included teaching by “Understanding the Old Testament” by Dr. Linda Warren; “Cultivating a Listening Ear” and "Prayer Model," by Dr. Wanda Walborn. “Listening to God for Questions & Activating Prophetic Listening,” was the focus of Empower Engage for mentors conducted by Mrs. Lisa Plunket and Mrs. Kim Valenzuela.
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>