Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
In Shuman Hall on the residential campus of Nyack College, the eighth cohort of Woman: the Rite of Passage, held its initiation ceremony on Sunday, September 17. Senior undergraduate students were welcomed to a year of exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation.
The program was founded by Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah and was inspired in part by her doctoral dissertation. Her first book, The Book of Womanhood, (Cascade Publishers) is the text used for the program. She is joined by a leadership team that includes Rockland campus Dean of Students Wanda Velez, Christie Hall Resident Director Heather Butcher, doctoral student Mariela Henry, and Dorm Area Coordinator Yolanda Morgan—all alumnae of Nyack College and/or ATS. Thirteen mentors serve the mentees and support the leadership team.
Sunday’s celebratory event gave each student an opportunity to share why she enrolled in the program. Exhortation and prayer from the leadership team and mentors was followed by a tea reception, where each young woman received a personally autographed copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book and a unique porcelain tea cup and saucer.
Reflecting on this year's class, Dr. Davis Abdallah stated, "These women are prepared for the challenge of this journey, and the mentors are strong to walk beside them. Even this first night, the first time many of them met, they didn't want to leave the room. They wanted to linger over the beauty of the evening and to drink in the excitement of this process. Every class is different and we look forward to both their transformation and ours!"
Learn more about Woman.
Photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Browse Blog Archive>>