Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
In Shuman Hall on the residential campus of Nyack College, the eighth cohort of Woman: the Rite of Passage, held its initiation ceremony on Sunday, September 17. Senior undergraduate students were welcomed to a year of exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation.
The program was founded by Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah and was inspired in part by her doctoral dissertation. Her first book, The Book of Womanhood, (Cascade Publishers) is the text used for the program. She is joined by a leadership team that includes Rockland campus Dean of Students Wanda Velez, Christie Hall Resident Director Heather Butcher, doctoral student Mariela Henry, and Dorm Area Coordinator Yolanda Morgan—all alumnae of Nyack College and/or ATS. Thirteen mentors serve the mentees and support the leadership team.
Sunday’s celebratory event gave each student an opportunity to share why she enrolled in the program. Exhortation and prayer from the leadership team and mentors was followed by a tea reception, where each young woman received a personally autographed copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book and a unique porcelain tea cup and saucer.
Reflecting on this year's class, Dr. Davis Abdallah stated, "These women are prepared for the challenge of this journey, and the mentors are strong to walk beside them. Even this first night, the first time many of them met, they didn't want to leave the room. They wanted to linger over the beauty of the evening and to drink in the excitement of this process. Every class is different and we look forward to both their transformation and ours!"
Learn more about Woman.
Photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Browse Blog Archive>>