Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
In Shuman Hall on the residential campus of Nyack College, the eighth cohort of Woman: the Rite of Passage, held its initiation ceremony on Sunday, September 17. Senior undergraduate students were welcomed to a year of exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation.
The program was founded by Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah and was inspired in part by her doctoral dissertation. Her first book, The Book of Womanhood, (Cascade Publishers) is the text used for the program. She is joined by a leadership team that includes Rockland campus Dean of Students Wanda Velez, Christie Hall Resident Director Heather Butcher, doctoral student Mariela Henry, and Dorm Area Coordinator Yolanda Morgan—all alumnae of Nyack College and/or ATS. Thirteen mentors serve the mentees and support the leadership team.
Sunday’s celebratory event gave each student an opportunity to share why she enrolled in the program. Exhortation and prayer from the leadership team and mentors was followed by a tea reception, where each young woman received a personally autographed copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book and a unique porcelain tea cup and saucer.
Reflecting on this year's class, Dr. Davis Abdallah stated, "These women are prepared for the challenge of this journey, and the mentors are strong to walk beside them. Even this first night, the first time many of them met, they didn't want to leave the room. They wanted to linger over the beauty of the evening and to drink in the excitement of this process. Every class is different and we look forward to both their transformation and ours!"
Learn more about Woman.
Photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>