Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
Dr. Gwen Parker Ames (pictured), dean of the Nyack College Division of Student Success continues with an initiative to cultivate the interest of high school and middle school students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering Math) fields.
A special event open to the public will take place on June 17 at Nyack College in Hilltop Classrooms on the Rockland County campus in Nyack. STEM demonstrations and presentations will be offered from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
An introduction to a Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) program at Nyack funded by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) was launched in the spring to acquaint students with the various STEM fields. A summer program will run July 5 through August 3 and will meet in various Hilltop classrooms where students will be able to choose from a selection of science and technology classes.
Rockland County students from Nyack High, Ramapo High and Spring Valley High will participate. Middle school students are from Kakiat Elementary, Chestnut Ridge Middle School, Eldorado Elementary, Elmwood Elementary, Sacred Heart, Felix Festa Middle School, Highview Elementary, Bardonia Elementary and A. MacArthur Barr Middle School. Instructors will include Nyack College professors and professionals from outside companies. Most activities will be on campus; however, some field trips have been planned as well.
Busing will be provided to the campus from the various high schools. Parents may also transport students. Lunch will be available in the Nyack cafeteria.
For more information on this exciting new development for Rockland County students, contact the Division of Student Success at 845.675.4446
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>