Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
Dr. Gwen Parker Ames (pictured), dean of the Nyack College Division of Student Success continues with an initiative to cultivate the interest of high school and middle school students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering Math) fields.
A special event open to the public will take place on June 17 at Nyack College in Hilltop Classrooms on the Rockland County campus in Nyack. STEM demonstrations and presentations will be offered from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
An introduction to a Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) program at Nyack funded by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) was launched in the spring to acquaint students with the various STEM fields. A summer program will run July 5 through August 3 and will meet in various Hilltop classrooms where students will be able to choose from a selection of science and technology classes.
Rockland County students from Nyack High, Ramapo High and Spring Valley High will participate. Middle school students are from Kakiat Elementary, Chestnut Ridge Middle School, Eldorado Elementary, Elmwood Elementary, Sacred Heart, Felix Festa Middle School, Highview Elementary, Bardonia Elementary and A. MacArthur Barr Middle School. Instructors will include Nyack College professors and professionals from outside companies. Most activities will be on campus; however, some field trips have been planned as well.
Busing will be provided to the campus from the various high schools. Parents may also transport students. Lunch will be available in the Nyack cafeteria.
For more information on this exciting new development for Rockland County students, contact the Division of Student Success at 845.675.4446
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>