Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
Dozens of Rockland County community leaders and area residents filled President’s Hall on the Hudson Valley campus of Nyack College to pay tribute to the work of Earl Miller, the College’s executive director of community relations. Miller will soon conclude his longtime employment at Nyack and continue his commitment as a church, civic and community leader. He was joined at the recent celebration by his wife, Jonette, and son, Isaiah.
Dr. Michael G. Scales, 12th president of the 135-year-old institution, emceed the informal reception along with Dr. Frances Pratt, president of the NAACP Nyack branch and a 2015 recipient of a Nyack College honorary Doctor of Letters.
Miller wore many hats during his tenure at Nyack; in addition to being a student who earned both undergraduate and graduate degrees, he served as an associate dean of students, vice president for student development, and men’s golf coach.
A 2015 inductee into the Rockland County Civil/Human Rights Hall of Fame, Earl Miller was an ambassador whose efforts exemplified Nyack’s core values of being intentionally diverse and socially relevant. The diversity of groups that he attracted to Nyack College reflected the College’s commitment to extending hospitality to the community. Miller facilitated collaborative work with groups such as Big Brothers Big Sisters of Rockland, Rockland County YMCA, the Holocaust Museum and Study Center, NAACP (Nyack and Spring Valley), Nyack Rotary, Rockland Business Association, Leadership Rockland, First Tee of Metropolitan New York and among others. His invaluable bridge-building led to his role as a board member for several organizations and as YMCA Foundation Board Chairman for New York State. Miller was also Nyack Rotary President from 2012 to 2013.
Speaking on behalf of the campus community, President Scales read the inscription on a gift presented to Earl Miller: “With sincere gratitude for your service as an ambassador, a bridge-builder and a crusader for the cause of Christ embraced by our administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni. Our love and prayers go with you!”
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>