Remembering Robin Luce
The Nyack College campus has learned that Robin Luce, former Office of Student Development administrative assistant on the Nyack Rockland County campus, went home to be with the Lord on Thursday, May 25, after a brief time in hospice care.
Many wonderful things can be shared about Robin’s compassionate presence that established her as a pillar of the campus community. However, even before her retirement in 2009, she was publically recognized as a true treasure when the following introduction was read announcing the 2006-2007 Missionarian yearbook dedicatee. The following tribute to Robin written by Nyack’s Dean of Library Services and her dear friend Linda Poston are a precious word picture worth repeating.
"Our dedicatee this year is a person who has touched many lives and hearts. She came to Nyack with a master’s degree in counseling and had previous experience teaching high school Spanish, serving as a Resident Director and managing a Christian bookstore. At Nyack, She served in an administrative support role for the past eleven years and has become a loyal friend, a professional resource and an encourager, par excellence to many. You might catch her eating lunch and reading a good book at the gazebo, find her sitting in chapel enjoying worship, hear her contagious laughter down the hallway, or observe her compassionate heart reaching out to a student.
I have been privileged to know her on a both a professional and personal level and I have found that she is a woman of excellence. All that she does is done with diligence, careful attention and faithful oversight. She has mastered new software with persistence and grace and when she is given a project, you can be sure that it will be accomplished according to standards of the highest quality. You may even see her Toyota in the parking lot on a Saturday as she puts the finishing touches on a special project.
She is also a woman of deep compassion. When she talks with individuals, they have her undivided attention. She listens with empathy and genuine concern, but isn’t afraid to speak the truth in love. She cares deeply for others, and creatively ministers to them with notes, conversations over a meal, or a special invitation to her cozy third-story apartment in Nyack. She always sees the potential and the best in everyone she meets.
Recently, she filled a special role in the life of a student, struggling with cancer. Robin reached out on many occasions, praying fervently for her, offering her lodging for a night as a stopover when she was too weak to make it home, and taking her on a trip to the beach to enjoy the waves and spray of the ocean during the last weeks of her life. Robin’s compassion is unbounded!
She is also a woman who enjoys life to the fullest—walking through freshly fallen snow in Vermont, drinking in the brilliant colors of a fall day in Connecticut, savoring the flavors of exotic food at an Indian buffet in New York City and relishing a day at one of her favorite spots—Mohonk Mountain.
But most of all, she is a godly woman of character. Her relationship to the Lord is evident in all that she says and does. She lives in total dependence on His strength and abundant grace and allows His love to flow through her each and every day of her life. She is continually growing in her walk with God and is an example of a ‘fragile jar of clay’ that God has used to bless the world around her.
Thank you, Robin, for sharing your life with us. Your sweet spirit, gentle voice, and joyful heart of service will long be remembered by all of us.”—Linda Poston
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>