Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
Nyack College alumnus Dr. Ty F. Buckman (’90) will become the new provost of Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA effective July 1, 2017.
The Nyack English major graduated summa cum laude and went on to graduate school in English Renaissance literature at the University of Virginia, where he completed his MA and Ph.D., defending his thesis on Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene and the Italian tradition in 1997.
Dr. Buckman began his full-time teaching career in 1996 as an assistant professor of English at the University of Minnesota-Morris, the liberal arts campus of the state university system. After three years at Morris, he moved on to Wittenberg University where he joined the English Department faculty. For five years, he served as Director of Faculty Development at Wittenberg. Shortly after his promotion to full professor, he was named Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Curriculum, sharing responsibility for all aspects of the university’s academic program. He became Vice President for Strategic Initiatives in 2014.
At Nyack’s 2015 Homecoming, Dr. Buckman received an alumni award for academic excellence in recognition of his “contributions to higher education as an administrator, professor, author and literary scholar.”
In a year of celebrating the University's 175th anniversary, Mary Baldwin's President Pamela Fox shared her enthusiasm about Buckman's appointment: "Ty is a proven transformational and strategic leader, an innovator and a skilled negotiator, and an open-minded thinker devoted to fostering diversity and inclusivity and collegiality."
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- Browse Blog Archive>>