Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
Nyack College alumnus Dr. Ty F. Buckman (’90) will become the new provost of Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA effective July 1, 2017.
The Nyack English major graduated summa cum laude and went on to graduate school in English Renaissance literature at the University of Virginia, where he completed his MA and Ph.D., defending his thesis on Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene and the Italian tradition in 1997.
Dr. Buckman began his full-time teaching career in 1996 as an assistant professor of English at the University of Minnesota-Morris, the liberal arts campus of the state university system. After three years at Morris, he moved on to Wittenberg University where he joined the English Department faculty. For five years, he served as Director of Faculty Development at Wittenberg. Shortly after his promotion to full professor, he was named Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Curriculum, sharing responsibility for all aspects of the university’s academic program. He became Vice President for Strategic Initiatives in 2014.
At Nyack’s 2015 Homecoming, Dr. Buckman received an alumni award for academic excellence in recognition of his “contributions to higher education as an administrator, professor, author and literary scholar.”
In a year of celebrating the University's 175th anniversary, Mary Baldwin's President Pamela Fox shared her enthusiasm about Buckman's appointment: "Ty is a proven transformational and strategic leader, an innovator and a skilled negotiator, and an open-minded thinker devoted to fostering diversity and inclusivity and collegiality."
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>