2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
Four Nyack College Class of 2017 grads (l-r)—Emily Barner, Katherine Oldfield, Kuan Chiu, Hwa Soo Ryoo—marked a new milestone in Nyack College history: They are the first graduates of Nyack's degree program in biology. The Bachelor of Arts in biology was approved by the New York State Education Department in 2012 and is the first natural science degree offered by Nyack College.
“Although our biology program is young, as a testament to the hard work of the students and our strong program with dedicated faculty, our graduates have done significantly above average in the National ETS® Major Field Test for Biology. They have participated in and presented at national, regional and local research conferences earning numerous accolades and honors with top ranking finishes. While it's bittersweet to see them go, it's clear that great things are in store for them in the future and I could not be more proud of them,” says Biology and Chemistry Department Chair Dr. Jacqueline Washington.
Nyack biology students have been actively involved in SEA-PHAGES (Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science), an undergraduate research course that begins with simple digging in the soil to find new viruses.
New alumna Emily Barner literally capped off her year in rare form by decorating her mortarboard. Dr. Washington sent a photo of it to Graham Hatfull, SEA-PHAGES Lead Scientist at University of Pittsburgh. Immediately Emily’s cap with the picture of a phage and the phrase,"All the world's a phage" was tweeted by the university (see lower right hand corner on SEA-PHAGES homepage).
Congratulations to Emily, Hwa, Katherine and Kuan!
**Learn more about Nyack's BA in biology.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>