2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
Four Nyack College Class of 2017 grads (l-r)—Emily Barner, Katherine Oldfield, Kuan Chiu, Hwa Soo Ryoo—marked a new milestone in Nyack College history: They are the first graduates of Nyack's degree program in biology. The Bachelor of Arts in biology was approved by the New York State Education Department in 2012 and is the first natural science degree offered by Nyack College.
“Although our biology program is young, as a testament to the hard work of the students and our strong program with dedicated faculty, our graduates have done significantly above average in the National ETS® Major Field Test for Biology. They have participated in and presented at national, regional and local research conferences earning numerous accolades and honors with top ranking finishes. While it's bittersweet to see them go, it's clear that great things are in store for them in the future and I could not be more proud of them,” says Biology and Chemistry Department Chair Dr. Jacqueline Washington.
Nyack biology students have been actively involved in SEA-PHAGES (Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science), an undergraduate research course that begins with simple digging in the soil to find new viruses.
New alumna Emily Barner literally capped off her year in rare form by decorating her mortarboard. Dr. Washington sent a photo of it to Graham Hatfull, SEA-PHAGES Lead Scientist at University of Pittsburgh. Immediately Emily’s cap with the picture of a phage and the phrase,"All the world's a phage" was tweeted by the university (see lower right hand corner on SEA-PHAGES homepage).
Congratulations to Emily, Hwa, Katherine and Kuan!
**Learn more about Nyack's BA in biology.
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>