The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
Awards for years of service were presented at the year-end luncheon for faculty and staff at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary on Monday, May 8.
For their dedicated service of 30 years to the College and Seminary, School of Education professor Dr. Christine Buel and Director of Centralized Admissions Mrs. Cindy Jennings were honored. English professor, Dr. Charles Beach was recognized for twenty-five years of service.
Dr. JoAnn Looney, dean of the School of Ed, described Dr. Buel as “a faithful woman of God, who embraces and embodies the department’s philosophy of SALT (Service, Academics, Leadership and Teaching). Dr. Buel’s service to the College and to the community spans the decades through College committee work, extra-curricular programming in the Department to Soup Angels and to the Nyack Homeless Project. As an experienced, passionate educator, her academic educational philosophy was coined by a School of Ed blogger: "Don't say, I can't do this. You need to say, I can't do this–yet."
As an introduction to 30-year-veteran employee Cindy Jennings, Vice President for Admissions Dr. Bill Voltmer shared words that she included on her Nyack College employment application 30 years ago: to “endeavor, to the best of her ability through the enlistment of God's grace, to work and so to live her entire life as to give consistent witness and hearty support to the ideals, standards, and beliefs for which the college stands. For the past 10,950 days of her Nyack/ATS employment, Cindy is known as the trusted, clear-thinking, go-to-person who can make sense of ambiguous data points, simplify their meaning, and present back possible implications. More importantly, she does this while putting the other person first, anticipating needs, treating others fairly and lovingly and always striving to balance timeliness and quality.”
English Department Chair Dr. Jonathan Gates described Dr. Charles Beach as “a hiker, book collector, family historian, New York C. S. Lewis Society presenter, WNYK radio station DJ, former Missionarian yearbook and Forum advisor, and College Writing research paper specialist. Dr. Beach is a gentle soul with a sharp pen and a passion for his students to think and write well and a longing for people to love their neighbor. His legendary office, overflowing with books and papers, testifies to his twenty-five-year pilgrimage with students and faculty—a theme that runs through his personal and professional studies beginning with his graduate work on Charles Williams and continuing through his exploration of his ancestors in Europe and resulting in his writing many poems in which he makes sense of our human journey.”
Other years of service awards included the following.
Twenty Years of Service: Dr. David Ahn and Evangeline Couchey
Fifteen Years of Service: Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, Dr. Stephen Bennett, Henok Ephraim, Denise Hirschlein, Dr. Marcia Lucas, Percelene MCLain, Dr. Josue Perez, Barbara Pierce, Althea Session-Lovett, Dr. Dana Talley and Millicent Waterman
Ten Years of Service: Dr. Elias Dantas, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr., Isaac Foster, Dr. Lars Fransden, Kevin Kriesel, Rebecca Noss, Autumn-Carol Nova and Dr. Kevin Pinkham
Five Years of Service: Jason Crafton, Dr. Elaine Eng, Dr. Jeffrey Garcia, Dr. Maureen Kroning, Grace Mathew, Yee McLeod, Steve Nehlsen, Louis Sanchez, Cornelius Spitzer, Dr. Lisa Steiner and Dr. Andrezej Wlodarczyk.
Faculty promotions from assistant professor to associate professor were announced for Dr. Jung Hang Lee, Dr. Peter Park and Dr. Wenbo Yan.
Congratulations to all for your invaluable service!
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- TODAY: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>