Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Luis Palau, Cary Summers and Peter Irvine
to Receive Honorary Doctorates from
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary will hold the 134th commencement ceremony for some 500 graduates at Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. A livestream of the ceremony will be broadcast at www.nyack.edu/GradStream.
Honorary doctorates will be presented to Luis Palau (Doctor of Divinity), and Peter Irvine (Doctor of Letters) and Cary Summers (Doctor of Letters). The three will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch held on the Rockland County campus in Boon Campus Center. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Dr. Michael G. Scales, the College’s 12th president, as an annual tradition to recognize the life work of people of outstanding public influence and models of Nyack’s five core values.
Luis Palau has been a speaker, teacher, author and spiritual leader for more than 50 years. His work has taken him to more than 75 nations and the Luis Palau Association has been the vehicle for reaching an audience of more than one billion people through television, radio, print, and live events. Having spent much of his career serving the people of Latin America, Luis Palau is regarded by many as the most influential spiritual leader in that region in the last four decades. With publications in more than 36 languages, he is the author of more than 40 books including God is Relevant, ¿Con Quién Me Casaré? (Whom Shall I Marry)?, Where is God When Bad Things Happen? and Say Yes! His Starting Point Study Bible (published by Zondervan) was a 2003 Gold Medallion finalist for “Best Bible of the Year.” He is the host of three international daily radio programs. He and his team have held more than 480 evangelistic campaigns, festivals and rallies reaching more than 30 million people.
Cary Summers is the president of the 430,000-square-foot Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C., which will open its doors later this year. The Museum, located two blocks from the National Mall and three blocks from the Capitol, will provide an immersive and personalized experience as visitors explore the history, narrative and impact of the Bible. Mr. Summers is also the founder of the Nehemiah Group, a consulting firm that serves for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.
Peter Irvine is the co-founder of the Gloria Jean’s Coffees franchise, one of the largest specialty coffee retailers in Australia. Today, there are over 400 Gloria Jean’s stores across Australia and more than 1,000 coffee houses in 39 countries worldwide. After he and his business partner sold the business in 2014, he entered the speaking circuit to become a keynote speaker and business consultant for both corporate and church audiences around the globe, sharing his expertise and providing tools for success. He is the author of Win in Business and Building Your Business, Your People, Your Life.
In the week leading up to Commencement Day, hooding ceremonies for doctorate and graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates and the School of Nursing pinning ceremony will be held for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates and their families.
For more information, visit the website at www.nyack.edu/commencement.
- TODAY: Fine Print Showcase at Bailey Library
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Browse Blog Archive>>