Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) part-time student Jill Kim completed her first semester in the Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) program. Though this wife and mother of four children (a three-year-old, a five-year-old and seven-year-old twins) who is also a church elder already holds a Master of Divinity degree from another institution, what she learned quickly is that her higher education experience at Nyack College was going to be very different from previous ones.
“After my first semester in the MFT program at AGSC, I am amazed by how much I have learned and grown. In this short time, I have experienced much emotion, gained great insight and have been blessed with revelations about my family and myself. I am incredibly humbled and excited to begin the next semester," she shares. "Tracing my family voyage helped me to see the blessings that God has shown my family. It was a great privilege to be able to hear my classmates give their own family voyage presentations. There is a deep bond that forms after you hear someone's family voyage and the different paths we all took to be here at Nyack. God is working in my classmates’ families and it is an honor to be able to witness God's mighty and gracious deeds.”
One of the most powerful forms of promoting degree programs offered at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary is word of mouth. Jill credits two friends, Julie Choi and Ralph Yoon, both graduates of the AGSC Mental Health Counseling concentration, who highly recommended that Jill consider the MFT concentration. It was exactly what she was seeking. Working within a family ministry context in her home church, she felt the need for more training in counseling. She looks forward to using the tools she is gaining after her 2021 graduation by facilitating seminars on marriage enrichment, parenting and conflict resolution.
How would she pay forward the life-changing advice of her friends to other prospective students? “I would tell them that the AGSC professors are incredible teachers, mentors and counselors. I think they are the best in the field of MFT.”
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>