Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) part-time student Jill Kim completed her first semester in the Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) program. Though this wife and mother of four children (a three-year-old, a five-year-old and seven-year-old twins) who is also a church elder already holds a Master of Divinity degree from another institution, what she learned quickly is that her higher education experience at Nyack College was going to be very different from previous ones.
“After my first semester in the MFT program at AGSC, I am amazed by how much I have learned and grown. In this short time, I have experienced much emotion, gained great insight and have been blessed with revelations about my family and myself. I am incredibly humbled and excited to begin the next semester," she shares. "Tracing my family voyage helped me to see the blessings that God has shown my family. It was a great privilege to be able to hear my classmates give their own family voyage presentations. There is a deep bond that forms after you hear someone's family voyage and the different paths we all took to be here at Nyack. God is working in my classmates’ families and it is an honor to be able to witness God's mighty and gracious deeds.”
One of the most powerful forms of promoting degree programs offered at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary is word of mouth. Jill credits two friends, Julie Choi and Ralph Yoon, both graduates of the AGSC Mental Health Counseling concentration, who highly recommended that Jill consider the MFT concentration. It was exactly what she was seeking. Working within a family ministry context in her home church, she felt the need for more training in counseling. She looks forward to using the tools she is gaining after her 2021 graduation by facilitating seminars on marriage enrichment, parenting and conflict resolution.
How would she pay forward the life-changing advice of her friends to other prospective students? “I would tell them that the AGSC professors are incredible teachers, mentors and counselors. I think they are the best in the field of MFT.”
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Browse Blog Archive>>