Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) part-time student Jill Kim completed her first semester in the Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) program. Though this wife and mother of four children (a three-year-old, a five-year-old and seven-year-old twins) who is also a church elder already holds a Master of Divinity degree from another institution, what she learned quickly is that her higher education experience at Nyack College was going to be very different from previous ones.
“After my first semester in the MFT program at AGSC, I am amazed by how much I have learned and grown. In this short time, I have experienced much emotion, gained great insight and have been blessed with revelations about my family and myself. I am incredibly humbled and excited to begin the next semester," she shares. "Tracing my family voyage helped me to see the blessings that God has shown my family. It was a great privilege to be able to hear my classmates give their own family voyage presentations. There is a deep bond that forms after you hear someone's family voyage and the different paths we all took to be here at Nyack. God is working in my classmates’ families and it is an honor to be able to witness God's mighty and gracious deeds.”
One of the most powerful forms of promoting degree programs offered at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary is word of mouth. Jill credits two friends, Julie Choi and Ralph Yoon, both graduates of the AGSC Mental Health Counseling concentration, who highly recommended that Jill consider the MFT concentration. It was exactly what she was seeking. Working within a family ministry context in her home church, she felt the need for more training in counseling. She looks forward to using the tools she is gaining after her 2021 graduation by facilitating seminars on marriage enrichment, parenting and conflict resolution.
How would she pay forward the life-changing advice of her friends to other prospective students? “I would tell them that the AGSC professors are incredible teachers, mentors and counselors. I think they are the best in the field of MFT.”
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>