MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
The Nyack College Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) program will present “An Authors Evening: Writing Academically for a Popular Audience” on Thursday, March 2, 2017, 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the New York City Campus, 2 Washington Street, 21st floor, Room 2241. Featured speakers will be Dr. Burton L. Visotzky, Dr. Steven Fine and Dr. R. Steven Notley.
ABOUT BURTON L. VISOTZKY
Dr. Visotzky's writing is published in America, Europe, and Israel. He is the author of ten books and more than 120 articles and reviews. His eleventh book is Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism As We Know It (published September 2016). He is also co-editing a three-volume compendium, Judaism, which will be published in the prestigious series The Religions of Humanity, due out in 2019 by Kohlhammer Publishing of Stuttgart. To learn more about Dr. Visotzky.
ABOUT DR. FINE
Dr. Fine is a cultural historian, specializing in Jewish history in the Greco-Roman period. His work focuses mainly on the literature of ancient Judaism, art and archaeology—and the ways that modern scholars have interpreted Jewish antiquity. Professor Fine’s most recent monograph, Art and Judaism in the Greco-Roman World: Toward a New Jewish Archaeology (Cambridge, 2005, revised edition 2010) received the 2009 Jordan Schnitzer Book Award of the Association for Jewish Studies. He is an editor of IMAGES: A Journal for the Study of Jewish Art and Visual Culture and section editor for Judaica of the Cambridge World History of Religious Architecture (forthcoming). A collection of his essays will be published by HaKibbutz Hameuchad Publishers in their prestigious Hillel Ben Hayyim series in Hebrew. Learn more about Dr. Fine.
ABOUT DR. NOTELY
AJCO Program Director R. Steven Notley lived in Jerusalem for sixteen years and received his Ph.D. in Comparative Religions from the Hebrew University, where he studied under the late Professor David Flusser. He is a recognized leader in his field and continues to publish collaboratively with Israeli scholars. Among his list of publications, he coauthored, with Flusser, The Sage from Galilee: Rediscovering Jesus’ Genius (Eerdmans 2007), with Ze’ev Safrai, Eusebius, Onomasticon: A Triglott Edition with Notes and Commentary (Brill 2005), and, with Anson Rainey, the monumental biblical atlas The Sacred Bridge: Carta’s Atlas of the Biblical World (Carta 2005). Recently he completed his second work with Safrai, a pioneering collection and annotated translation of the earliest rabbinic parables that provide the literary and religious context for the parables of Jesus, Parables of the Sages (Carta 2011).
To learn more about Nyack’s graduate degree program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins, click here.
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Save the DAte for Nyack's School of Music Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Browse Blog Archive>>