MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
The Nyack College Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) program will present “An Authors Evening: Writing Academically for a Popular Audience” on Thursday, March 2, 2017, 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the New York City Campus, 2 Washington Street, 21st floor, Room 2241. Featured speakers will be Dr. Burton L. Visotzky, Dr. Steven Fine and Dr. R. Steven Notley.
ABOUT BURTON L. VISOTZKY
Dr. Visotzky's writing is published in America, Europe, and Israel. He is the author of ten books and more than 120 articles and reviews. His eleventh book is Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism As We Know It (published September 2016). He is also co-editing a three-volume compendium, Judaism, which will be published in the prestigious series The Religions of Humanity, due out in 2019 by Kohlhammer Publishing of Stuttgart. To learn more about Dr. Visotzky.
ABOUT DR. FINE
Dr. Fine is a cultural historian, specializing in Jewish history in the Greco-Roman period. His work focuses mainly on the literature of ancient Judaism, art and archaeology—and the ways that modern scholars have interpreted Jewish antiquity. Professor Fine’s most recent monograph, Art and Judaism in the Greco-Roman World: Toward a New Jewish Archaeology (Cambridge, 2005, revised edition 2010) received the 2009 Jordan Schnitzer Book Award of the Association for Jewish Studies. He is an editor of IMAGES: A Journal for the Study of Jewish Art and Visual Culture and section editor for Judaica of the Cambridge World History of Religious Architecture (forthcoming). A collection of his essays will be published by HaKibbutz Hameuchad Publishers in their prestigious Hillel Ben Hayyim series in Hebrew. Learn more about Dr. Fine.
ABOUT DR. NOTELY
AJCO Program Director R. Steven Notley lived in Jerusalem for sixteen years and received his Ph.D. in Comparative Religions from the Hebrew University, where he studied under the late Professor David Flusser. He is a recognized leader in his field and continues to publish collaboratively with Israeli scholars. Among his list of publications, he coauthored, with Flusser, The Sage from Galilee: Rediscovering Jesus’ Genius (Eerdmans 2007), with Ze’ev Safrai, Eusebius, Onomasticon: A Triglott Edition with Notes and Commentary (Brill 2005), and, with Anson Rainey, the monumental biblical atlas The Sacred Bridge: Carta’s Atlas of the Biblical World (Carta 2005). Recently he completed his second work with Safrai, a pioneering collection and annotated translation of the earliest rabbinic parables that provide the literary and religious context for the parables of Jesus, Parables of the Sages (Carta 2011).
To learn more about Nyack’s graduate degree program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins, click here.
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Browse Blog Archive>>