What You Can Discover at Nyack
You never know what you’ll find when you’re studying at Nyack College. Sometimes you find yourself.
What causes the “aha” moment?
Often being immersed in the campus environment infused with Nyack’s core values (academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant) puts you in touch with the calling God intended even before your arrival on one of the campuses.
"I was terrified when I first started at Nyack,” Joanne Pelino explains. “I wanted to drop out every five minutes during my first semester, but I stayed, did my best, prayed a lot, and shockingly I ended up with three A's. So, I came back, and I just kept going.”
Previously in her role as an emergency room technician, Joanne made daily contact with a literal mission field of people with needs—and not all physical. She was convinced the social work degree would equip her for the career in compassionately impacting lives, especially those whose lives were broken by the affliction of substance abuse or homelessness.
After a conversation with the chair of Nyack's Pastoral Ministry Department about the heart tug towards ministry, her questions were answered and her major was changed the same day. However, the plan to become a full-time student was delayed when her pet dog fell victim to a health crisis creating a hefty medical bill. That required her to work at least part-time.
Joanne learned that student workers were being hired in the Office of Admissions on Nyack’s Rockland campus. Not long after, she was using her people skills at the Admissions front desk.
Now a junior who reached her goal of full-time studies this year, she confidently says, “I know this is where God wants me to be. I am amazed at what I have been able to do, but I give all of the praise to God because I would not be able to do it on my own. I feel so blessed to be a student here and to be working in Admissions. I have met so many amazing people who always encourage me, and I try to do the same for them. I have grown so much as a person, especially spiritually. Being a student here is definitely a life-changing experience."
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>