A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
How do you wrap the gift of love?
Elaine Shickley Haaga and her siblings—Jan Shickley Morse, Charles David Shickley, Robert William Shickley and James Edward Shickley—did it selflessly.
Last year when their mother, Joanne Grubbs Shickley passed away, they discovered a bit of a family heirloom amongst her belongings. Who would own this precious piece of history next?
When Mrs. Haaga, an employee with the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) came to the Nyack College Manhattan campus this fall for the 2016 CCCU diversity conference, she brought along a unique “donation” for the College. The gift was a patchwork quilt originally owned by her grandmother, Bertha Knight Grubbs, who was Superintendent of Women from 1938 to 1940 at Nyack College, then the Missionary Training Institute.
What makes this quilt so special? Bertha Knight Grubbs. Clearly she had a tremendous impact on the young women residing on the Hillside. Some 148 names, many with hometowns and a scripture citation, are meticulously handstitched on squares sewn together.
Mrs. Haaga explains, “Many of the women whose names are on the quilt went on to serve around the world. We are very happy to know that the quilt will be added to the historical record of Nyack College where you are still impacting the world for Jesus Christ!”
More than 75 years later—women of Simpson Hall (pictured above with Associate Dean of Students Wanda Velez, seated center) are still being compassionately cared for by the College’s extraordinary faculty and staff who have a heart for mentoring. The legacy of love and community represented in that tribute to Mrs. Grubbs lives on.
Much gratitude to the Shickley siblings for their generosity and for the gift that is “home” for holidays.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>