Award-Winning Teen Filmmaker at Chapel Friday March 30
Kiri Davis, a New York City high school student, is the winner of the Diversity Award sponsored by Third Millennium Foundation. She will be the guest speaker at chapel Friday, March 30 at 10:00 am on the Rockland County campus.
Her award-winning seven-minute film, “Girl Like Me” is an example of how young people can use film as a tool to impact lives in our nation and around the world. In this instance, the film addresses the issue of self-esteem in people of color.
An Urban Academy student, Ms. Davis is a participant in the Reel Works Teen Filmmaking program, which has been featured in the New York Times, The Daily News and on MSNBC, PBS, and NY1 News. Students in this program work one-on-one with professional filmmakers and then are given the opportunity to write, shoot, and edit personal narrative videos on subjects of their choice, while gaining skills in digital filmmaking.
Plan to attend chapel and witness how the powerful statement made by “Girl Like Me” can be the basis of dialogue on campuses, in communities, and in homes as these conversations reinforce the impact of using creative talent for positive results.
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Global Service-Learning 2015
- Peace and Hope Visit Nyack Rockland
- Hudson Link, TEDxSing Sing and Nyack College in New York Times Feature
- Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
- Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Browse Blog Archive>>