Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
Almost Thanksgiving…and it’s beginning to look at lot like Christmas.
At the Nyack College New York City campus, members of the Student Government Association (SGA) are in the gift-giving spirit will package items on Saturday, November 19 that they collected for the familiar looking red and green shoeboxes that brands the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child outreach.
The nearly five decade-old non-denominational, evangelical organization (founded in 1970 by Bob Pierce of Youth for Christ who was succeeded by Franklin Graham in 1978) has stretched its arms around the globe. The organization shares God’s love by responding to natural disasters, famine, disease, as well as victims of war and poverty. Operation Christmas Child specifically brings cheer to youth from 2 to 14 years of age.
This year’s outreach brings back special memories to one of the SGA New York City packaging crew.
Aminadab Feliz (pictured) was once a beneficiary of the Samaritan’s Purse outreach to children. As a young girl in the Dominican Republic, she received a shoebox at her home church, Primera Iglesia de la Cristianizacion Nacional. She recalls the delight of being able to have items that were not possible to buy or even find in the Dominican Republic. A pink stuffed dog and the letter from the family who donated her box was everything to her.
Aminadab, a social work major, has vivid memories of waiting in a long line to receive her box. She recalls, “When my father brought us home, we sat on the living room floor to open the shoeboxes. I carefully opened my box because I wanted to also conserve and use it as storage for other things. I felt so loved and blessed by the family that made that box for me.”
Now it’s Aminadab’s turn. She's putting together her own shoeboxes to be a blessing to teenage girls.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>