Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
Almost Thanksgiving…and it’s beginning to look at lot like Christmas.
At the Nyack College New York City campus, members of the Student Government Association (SGA) are in the gift-giving spirit will package items on Saturday, November 19 that they collected for the familiar looking red and green shoeboxes that brands the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child outreach.
The nearly five decade-old non-denominational, evangelical organization (founded in 1970 by Bob Pierce of Youth for Christ who was succeeded by Franklin Graham in 1978) has stretched its arms around the globe. The organization shares God’s love by responding to natural disasters, famine, disease, as well as victims of war and poverty. Operation Christmas Child specifically brings cheer to youth from 2 to 14 years of age.
This year’s outreach brings back special memories to one of the SGA New York City packaging crew.
Aminadab Feliz (pictured) was once a beneficiary of the Samaritan’s Purse outreach to children. As a young girl in the Dominican Republic, she received a shoebox at her home church, Primera Iglesia de la Cristianizacion Nacional. She recalls the delight of being able to have items that were not possible to buy or even find in the Dominican Republic. A pink stuffed dog and the letter from the family who donated her box was everything to her.
Aminadab, a social work major, has vivid memories of waiting in a long line to receive her box. She recalls, “When my father brought us home, we sat on the living room floor to open the shoeboxes. I carefully opened my box because I wanted to also conserve and use it as storage for other things. I felt so loved and blessed by the family that made that box for me.”
Now it’s Aminadab’s turn. She's putting together her own shoeboxes to be a blessing to teenage girls.
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>