Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
Almost Thanksgiving…and it’s beginning to look at lot like Christmas.
At the Nyack College New York City campus, members of the Student Government Association (SGA) are in the gift-giving spirit will package items on Saturday, November 19 that they collected for the familiar looking red and green shoeboxes that brands the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child outreach.
The nearly five decade-old non-denominational, evangelical organization (founded in 1970 by Bob Pierce of Youth for Christ who was succeeded by Franklin Graham in 1978) has stretched its arms around the globe. The organization shares God’s love by responding to natural disasters, famine, disease, as well as victims of war and poverty. Operation Christmas Child specifically brings cheer to youth from 2 to 14 years of age.
This year’s outreach brings back special memories to one of the SGA New York City packaging crew.
Aminadab Feliz (pictured) was once a beneficiary of the Samaritan’s Purse outreach to children. As a young girl in the Dominican Republic, she received a shoebox at her home church, Primera Iglesia de la Cristianizacion Nacional. She recalls the delight of being able to have items that were not possible to buy or even find in the Dominican Republic. A pink stuffed dog and the letter from the family who donated her box was everything to her.
Aminadab, a social work major, has vivid memories of waiting in a long line to receive her box. She recalls, “When my father brought us home, we sat on the living room floor to open the shoeboxes. I carefully opened my box because I wanted to also conserve and use it as storage for other things. I felt so loved and blessed by the family that made that box for me.”
Now it’s Aminadab’s turn. She's putting together her own shoeboxes to be a blessing to teenage girls.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>