John Perkins, Nyack Commencement Speaker
On Monday, May 14, Dr. John M. Perkins, founder and president of the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development (JMPF) in Jackson, MS, will be the Commencement speaker for Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
John M. Perkins is a sharecropper's son who grew up in Mississippi in dire poverty. He fled to California when he was 17 and vowed never to return after his older brother's murder at the hands of a town marshal. However, in 1960, after his conversion to Christianity, he returned to his boyhood home to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. His outspoken nature and leadership as a civil rights activist resulted in repeated beatings and imprisonment.
Christianity Today magazine, placed the landmark book, Let Justice Roll Down, written by Dr. Perkins at number 14 among the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. Perkins, known as a community development pioneer, is credited in the publication’s citation for presenting a “three-pronged solution to America’s systemic race problem: relocation, reconciliation, and redistribution.” The author of several other books including, With Justice For All, Beyond Charity, He’s My Brother, Resurrecting Hope, and A Time to Heal, he has contributed chapters to other compilations.
To learn more about the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development, visit http://www.jmpf.org
- Thursday, October 23--Velocity! Debuts at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Unearthing Magdala--Nyack College Conference for Interfaith Scholars
- RELEASE: Official Nyack Statement on Ebola
- October 17: Nyack's School of Social Work and Community Connections for Youth Release Report
- Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
- Miovski and Mansfield Families Music Hall Dedicated at Nyack NYC Campus
- Official Nyack College Statement Regarding Unknown Man on Campus September 23
- Anti-Human Trafficking Art Exhibit with Susan Clinthorne and Sally Thielen at Nyack Rockland
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Browse Blog Archive>>