Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
The seventh cohort (pictured) of Nyack College students were initiated into Woman, the rites of passage program for seniors launched by Bible professor Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah. The students were celebrated with Dr. Abdallah and her program co-leaders, Nyack Rockland Dean Wanda Velez and Nyack 2010 alumna Ms. Christina Wolfe.
This year 14 seniors have committed to the journey that is based on exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation. Curriculum content for the program is from Dr. Abdallah’s 350-page doctoral dissertation on rites of passage for Christian women, which later became, The Book of Womanhood.
At the conclusion of the program each May, there is a crossing over ceremony which showcases projects reflecting the personal transformation of the women.
One of the many glowing examples of alumnae journeys was shared again at the 2016 initiation ceremony. Janiece Williams performed her spoken word poem, “Praise,” celebrating personal worth, affirmation and the beauty of womanhood. Click here to enjoy her presentation.
To learn more about Woman, visit Dr. Abdallah’s website.
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- March 29: The Amasi Trio in Concert
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- Browse Blog Archive>>