Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
The seventh cohort (pictured) of Nyack College students were initiated into Woman, the rites of passage program for seniors launched by Bible professor Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah. The students were celebrated with Dr. Abdallah and her program co-leaders, Nyack Rockland Dean Wanda Velez and Nyack 2010 alumna Ms. Christina Wolfe.
This year 14 seniors have committed to the journey that is based on exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation. Curriculum content for the program is from Dr. Abdallah’s 350-page doctoral dissertation on rites of passage for Christian women, which later became, The Book of Womanhood.
At the conclusion of the program each May, there is a crossing over ceremony which showcases projects reflecting the personal transformation of the women.
One of the many glowing examples of alumnae journeys was shared again at the 2016 initiation ceremony. Janiece Williams performed her spoken word poem, “Praise,” celebrating personal worth, affirmation and the beauty of womanhood. Click here to enjoy her presentation.
To learn more about Woman, visit Dr. Abdallah’s website.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>