Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
The seventh cohort (pictured) of Nyack College students were initiated into Woman, the rites of passage program for seniors launched by Bible professor Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah. The students were celebrated with Dr. Abdallah and her program co-leaders, Nyack Rockland Dean Wanda Velez and Nyack 2010 alumna Ms. Christina Wolfe.
This year 14 seniors have committed to the journey that is based on exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation. Curriculum content for the program is from Dr. Abdallah’s 350-page doctoral dissertation on rites of passage for Christian women, which later became, The Book of Womanhood.
At the conclusion of the program each May, there is a crossing over ceremony which showcases projects reflecting the personal transformation of the women.
One of the many glowing examples of alumnae journeys was shared again at the 2016 initiation ceremony. Janiece Williams performed her spoken word poem, “Praise,” celebrating personal worth, affirmation and the beauty of womanhood. Click here to enjoy her presentation.
To learn more about Woman, visit Dr. Abdallah’s website.
- Jan 30-Feb 1: Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- Browse Blog Archive>>