Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
The Nyack College School of Music in Rockland County will host, “Every Day a Gift: An Evening with Sungrai Sohn,” on Friday, October 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Nyack’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY. Prof. Sohn is a concert violinist and professor of music, known for his international performances in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Canada. Admission to the event is free.
Sungrai has appeared as soloist and chamber musician with numerous orchestras and ensembles including the New York Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra; Laurentian String Quartet; and the Nyack College Trio-in- Residence, the Amasi Trio. His acclaimed performances have been featured at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and Lincoln Center.
The evening’s program will include dynamic works for violin including, "Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24," Beethoven and "Zigeunerweisen" Op. 20, Saraste. A screening of "To Have and to Give," a film produced and directed by David Esposito, Sungrai's brother-in-law and his living transplant donor will be shown. The piece documents Sungrai’s journey through the partial organ transplant experience in 2001. The film also highlights his life as a musician, and as an individual able to maintain peace, and optimism, despite years of illness and uncertainty. Sungrai received a second whole liver transplant in 2014. A question and answer session will follow the film.
Sungrai is a recipient of the Maryland Women's Club Award, the Artist International Award, Jack Kahn Award and Honored Diplomat at the Algiers Fourth International Music Festival. He is a grand prize winner of the Korean National competitions in violin solo and in chamber music and a winner of “Friends and Enemies” of the New Music competition.
Learn more about Sungrai Sohn here. For more information about the concert, phone the School of Music Office at 845.675.4687.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>