Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
The Nyack College School of Music in Rockland County will host, “Every Day a Gift: An Evening with Sungrai Sohn,” on Friday, October 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Nyack’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY. Prof. Sohn is a concert violinist and professor of music, known for his international performances in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Canada. Admission to the event is free.
Sungrai has appeared as soloist and chamber musician with numerous orchestras and ensembles including the New York Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra; Laurentian String Quartet; and the Nyack College Trio-in- Residence, the Amasi Trio. His acclaimed performances have been featured at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and Lincoln Center.
The evening’s program will include dynamic works for violin including, "Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24," Beethoven and "Zigeunerweisen" Op. 20, Saraste. A screening of "To Have and to Give," a film produced and directed by David Esposito, Sungrai's brother-in-law and his living transplant donor will be shown. The piece documents Sungrai’s journey through the partial organ transplant experience in 2001. The film also highlights his life as a musician, and as an individual able to maintain peace, and optimism, despite years of illness and uncertainty. Sungrai received a second whole liver transplant in 2014. A question and answer session will follow the film.
Sungrai is a recipient of the Maryland Women's Club Award, the Artist International Award, Jack Kahn Award and Honored Diplomat at the Algiers Fourth International Music Festival. He is a grand prize winner of the Korean National competitions in violin solo and in chamber music and a winner of “Friends and Enemies” of the New Music competition.
Learn more about Sungrai Sohn here. For more information about the concert, phone the School of Music Office at 845.675.4687.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Boxer Donut & Expresso Bar Owned by 2012 Nyack Alumnus, Eric Brown
- Browse Blog Archive>>