Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
The Nyack College School of Music in Rockland County will host, “Every Day a Gift: An Evening with Sungrai Sohn,” on Friday, October 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Nyack’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY. Prof. Sohn is a concert violinist and professor of music, known for his international performances in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Canada. Admission to the event is free.
Sungrai has appeared as soloist and chamber musician with numerous orchestras and ensembles including the New York Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra; Laurentian String Quartet; and the Nyack College Trio-in- Residence, the Amasi Trio. His acclaimed performances have been featured at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and Lincoln Center.
The evening’s program will include dynamic works for violin including, "Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24," Beethoven and "Zigeunerweisen" Op. 20, Saraste. A screening of "To Have and to Give," a film produced and directed by David Esposito, Sungrai's brother-in-law and his living transplant donor will be shown. The piece documents Sungrai’s journey through the partial organ transplant experience in 2001. The film also highlights his life as a musician, and as an individual able to maintain peace, and optimism, despite years of illness and uncertainty. Sungrai received a second whole liver transplant in 2014. A question and answer session will follow the film.
Sungrai is a recipient of the Maryland Women's Club Award, the Artist International Award, Jack Kahn Award and Honored Diplomat at the Algiers Fourth International Music Festival. He is a grand prize winner of the Korean National competitions in violin solo and in chamber music and a winner of “Friends and Enemies” of the New Music competition.
Learn more about Sungrai Sohn here. For more information about the concert, phone the School of Music Office at 845.675.4687.
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- June 25 Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating Nyack's School of Nursing Graduates
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- Browse Blog Archive>>