Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
The Nyack College School of Music in Rockland County will host, “Every Day a Gift: An Evening with Sungrai Sohn,” on Friday, October 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Nyack’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY. Prof. Sohn is a concert violinist and professor of music, known for his international performances in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Canada. Admission to the event is free.
Sungrai has appeared as soloist and chamber musician with numerous orchestras and ensembles including the New York Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra; Laurentian String Quartet; and the Nyack College Trio-in- Residence, the Amasi Trio. His acclaimed performances have been featured at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and Lincoln Center.
The evening’s program will include dynamic works for violin including, "Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24," Beethoven and "Zigeunerweisen" Op. 20, Saraste. A screening of "To Have and to Give," a film produced and directed by David Esposito, Sungrai's brother-in-law and his living transplant donor will be shown. The piece documents Sungrai’s journey through the partial organ transplant experience in 2001. The film also highlights his life as a musician, and as an individual able to maintain peace, and optimism, despite years of illness and uncertainty. Sungrai received a second whole liver transplant in 2014. A question and answer session will follow the film.
Sungrai is a recipient of the Maryland Women's Club Award, the Artist International Award, Jack Kahn Award and Honored Diplomat at the Algiers Fourth International Music Festival. He is a grand prize winner of the Korean National competitions in violin solo and in chamber music and a winner of “Friends and Enemies” of the New Music competition.
Learn more about Sungrai Sohn here. For more information about the concert, phone the School of Music Office at 845.675.4687.
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- Browse Blog Archive>>