Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
“Teaching, but always a student,” is how Gabrielle Do describes herself. The Nyack College Honors Program graduate ('14) and spoken word artist has gone global with her gift.
She’s currently in South Korea teaching creative writing and English, where she also heads up an art collective, SYNERGY in South Korea. SYNERGY, based in the South Jeollanamdo area showcases singer-songwriters, poets, rappers, dancers, instrumentalists and actors, as well as an art exhibit of work by locals and internationals.
"My collegiate years developed my love for poetry and prose, while cultivating my knack for freestyle on stage,” explains Gabrielle. “During my academic career, I taught a small group “Soul Food” at Nyack College, which focused on sharing personal experiences through spoken word, as well as discussing moral issues through creative writing routes. In 2012, “Soul Food” became the genesis of my current movement #ZILLA101, which in turn produced a small collection of poetry, Be Still. Be Still is a byproduct of my vision to help others explore their creative potential through word association, as well as a means of self-reflection."
Gabrielle’s workshops are offered at the Gwangju International Center, a non-profit organization for Korean and international residents of Gwanju committed to community-building. You can read more about her in the spring 2016 issue (page 18) of Gwangju News, a monthly publication with an audience of international expats and English-speaking communities.
Catch up with Gabrielle on her website, where you see and hear this dynamic Nyack Nation alumna.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>