Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
“Teaching, but always a student,” is how Gabrielle Do describes herself. The Nyack College Honors Program graduate ('14) and spoken word artist has gone global with her gift.
She’s currently in South Korea teaching creative writing and English, where she also heads up an art collective, SYNERGY in South Korea. SYNERGY, based in the South Jeollanamdo area showcases singer-songwriters, poets, rappers, dancers, instrumentalists and actors, as well as an art exhibit of work by locals and internationals.
"My collegiate years developed my love for poetry and prose, while cultivating my knack for freestyle on stage,” explains Gabrielle. “During my academic career, I taught a small group “Soul Food” at Nyack College, which focused on sharing personal experiences through spoken word, as well as discussing moral issues through creative writing routes. In 2012, “Soul Food” became the genesis of my current movement #ZILLA101, which in turn produced a small collection of poetry, Be Still. Be Still is a byproduct of my vision to help others explore their creative potential through word association, as well as a means of self-reflection."
Gabrielle’s workshops are offered at the Gwangju International Center, a non-profit organization for Korean and international residents of Gwanju committed to community-building. You can read more about her in the spring 2016 issue (page 18) of Gwangju News, a monthly publication with an audience of international expats and English-speaking communities.
Catch up with Gabrielle on her website, where you see and hear this dynamic Nyack Nation alumna.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Boxer Donut & Expresso Bar Owned by 2012 Nyack Alumnus, Eric Brown
- Browse Blog Archive>>