Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
“Teaching, but always a student,” is how Gabrielle Do describes herself. The Nyack College Honors Program graduate ('14) and spoken word artist has gone global with her gift.
She’s currently in South Korea teaching creative writing and English, where she also heads up an art collective, SYNERGY in South Korea. SYNERGY, based in the South Jeollanamdo area showcases singer-songwriters, poets, rappers, dancers, instrumentalists and actors, as well as an art exhibit of work by locals and internationals.
"My collegiate years developed my love for poetry and prose, while cultivating my knack for freestyle on stage,” explains Gabrielle. “During my academic career, I taught a small group “Soul Food” at Nyack College, which focused on sharing personal experiences through spoken word, as well as discussing moral issues through creative writing routes. In 2012, “Soul Food” became the genesis of my current movement #ZILLA101, which in turn produced a small collection of poetry, Be Still. Be Still is a byproduct of my vision to help others explore their creative potential through word association, as well as a means of self-reflection."
Gabrielle’s workshops are offered at the Gwangju International Center, a non-profit organization for Korean and international residents of Gwanju committed to community-building. You can read more about her in the spring 2016 issue (page 18) of Gwangju News, a monthly publication with an audience of international expats and English-speaking communities.
Catch up with Gabrielle on her website, where you see and hear this dynamic Nyack Nation alumna.
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Browse Blog Archive>>