Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
“Teaching, but always a student,” is how Gabrielle Do describes herself. The Nyack College Honors Program graduate ('14) and spoken word artist has gone global with her gift.
She’s currently in South Korea teaching creative writing and English, where she also heads up an art collective, SYNERGY in South Korea. SYNERGY, based in the South Jeollanamdo area showcases singer-songwriters, poets, rappers, dancers, instrumentalists and actors, as well as an art exhibit of work by locals and internationals.
"My collegiate years developed my love for poetry and prose, while cultivating my knack for freestyle on stage,” explains Gabrielle. “During my academic career, I taught a small group “Soul Food” at Nyack College, which focused on sharing personal experiences through spoken word, as well as discussing moral issues through creative writing routes. In 2012, “Soul Food” became the genesis of my current movement #ZILLA101, which in turn produced a small collection of poetry, Be Still. Be Still is a byproduct of my vision to help others explore their creative potential through word association, as well as a means of self-reflection."
Gabrielle’s workshops are offered at the Gwangju International Center, a non-profit organization for Korean and international residents of Gwanju committed to community-building. You can read more about her in the spring 2016 issue (page 18) of Gwangju News, a monthly publication with an audience of international expats and English-speaking communities.
Catch up with Gabrielle on her website, where you see and hear this dynamic Nyack Nation alumna.
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating Nyack's School of Nursing Graduates
- Browse Blog Archive>>