Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
“Teaching, but always a student,” is how Gabrielle Do describes herself. The Nyack College Honors Program graduate ('14) and spoken word artist has gone global with her gift.
She’s currently in South Korea teaching creative writing and English, where she also heads up an art collective, SYNERGY in South Korea. SYNERGY, based in the South Jeollanamdo area showcases singer-songwriters, poets, rappers, dancers, instrumentalists and actors, as well as an art exhibit of work by locals and internationals.
"My collegiate years developed my love for poetry and prose, while cultivating my knack for freestyle on stage,” explains Gabrielle. “During my academic career, I taught a small group “Soul Food” at Nyack College, which focused on sharing personal experiences through spoken word, as well as discussing moral issues through creative writing routes. In 2012, “Soul Food” became the genesis of my current movement #ZILLA101, which in turn produced a small collection of poetry, Be Still. Be Still is a byproduct of my vision to help others explore their creative potential through word association, as well as a means of self-reflection."
Gabrielle’s workshops are offered at the Gwangju International Center, a non-profit organization for Korean and international residents of Gwanju committed to community-building. You can read more about her in the spring 2016 issue (page 18) of Gwangju News, a monthly publication with an audience of international expats and English-speaking communities.
Catch up with Gabrielle on her website, where you see and hear this dynamic Nyack Nation alumna.
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- West Side Story Tickets on Sale Now
- Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- OCT 24-26: PRAYER SUMMIT with Dave Powers Hosted by Office of Spiritual Formation
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Browse Blog Archive>>