Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
The greatest among you will be your servant.
For those who exalt themselves will be humbled,
and those who humble themselves will be exalted. (Matthew 23:11-12)
Upward mobility is the road Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas has travelled for more than four decades. Humbly, she has pressed forward without the need for self-promotion. Her elevation to being the first female “Bishop-Designate” of the Dunamis Covenant Connection exemplifies how being a servant leader has positioned her to be “exalted.”
Archbishop Designate Robert Joel Rochford, Sr., senior pastor of New Life Cathedral in Brooklyn, NY recently announced that Dr. Austin-Lucas will be officially consecrated to the office of Bishop in a service on Friday, July 15, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. at the Princeton Marriott at Forrestal, 100 College Road East in Princeton, NJ.
Dr. Austin Lucas has walked the path God prepared for her by obediently responding to His calling on her life as apostle, pastor, missionary, educator, evangelist, and community activist.
Students at Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) in Manhattan who studied with the Professor of Religious Education were blessed with an educator who led by example. Her stellar educational background is proof positive of her scholarship. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Tufts University (Medford, MA); Master of Arts degree in Afro-American Studies from Boston University (Boston, MA); Master of Divinity degree in Counseling and Family Ministry from Colgate Rochester Divinity School (Rochester, NY); Master of Education degree from Teachers College at Columbia University (New York, NY); Doctor of Education degree in Religion and Education with an emphasis in Urban Education from Union Theological Seminary and Teachers College at Columbia University (New York, NY); and a Doctor of Ministry degree in Life Together -- Spirituality for Transforming Community from Wesley Theological Seminary (Washington, D.C.)
More than the degrees behind her name, Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas consistently exhibited a mentoring spirit towards her students and built genuine camaraderie with her colleagues, both faculty and staff. While this recent accomplishment is heartily applauded, the bittersweet reality is that it closes the chapter on Dr. Austin-Lucas’s role at ATS and Nyack College. Although her presence will be missed come fall 2016, the legacy in Christian education she leaves behind is a gift the Seminary and College will forever treasure.
Our prayers and well wishes go with Bishop-Designate Barbara Austin-Lucas!
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>