Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
The greatest among you will be your servant.
For those who exalt themselves will be humbled,
and those who humble themselves will be exalted. (Matthew 23:11-12)
Upward mobility is the road Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas has travelled for more than four decades. Humbly, she has pressed forward without the need for self-promotion. Her elevation to being the first female “Bishop-Designate” of the Dunamis Covenant Connection exemplifies how being a servant leader has positioned her to be “exalted.”
Archbishop Designate Robert Joel Rochford, Sr., senior pastor of New Life Cathedral in Brooklyn, NY recently announced that Dr. Austin-Lucas will be officially consecrated to the office of Bishop in a service on Friday, July 15, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. at the Princeton Marriott at Forrestal, 100 College Road East in Princeton, NJ.
Dr. Austin Lucas has walked the path God prepared for her by obediently responding to His calling on her life as apostle, pastor, missionary, educator, evangelist, and community activist.
Students at Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) in Manhattan who studied with the Professor of Religious Education were blessed with an educator who led by example. Her stellar educational background is proof positive of her scholarship. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Tufts University (Medford, MA); Master of Arts degree in Afro-American Studies from Boston University (Boston, MA); Master of Divinity degree in Counseling and Family Ministry from Colgate Rochester Divinity School (Rochester, NY); Master of Education degree from Teachers College at Columbia University (New York, NY); Doctor of Education degree in Religion and Education with an emphasis in Urban Education from Union Theological Seminary and Teachers College at Columbia University (New York, NY); and a Doctor of Ministry degree in Life Together -- Spirituality for Transforming Community from Wesley Theological Seminary (Washington, D.C.)
More than the degrees behind her name, Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas consistently exhibited a mentoring spirit towards her students and built genuine camaraderie with her colleagues, both faculty and staff. While this recent accomplishment is heartily applauded, the bittersweet reality is that it closes the chapter on Dr. Austin-Lucas’s role at ATS and Nyack College. Although her presence will be missed come fall 2016, the legacy in Christian education she leaves behind is a gift the Seminary and College will forever treasure.
Our prayers and well wishes go with Bishop-Designate Barbara Austin-Lucas!
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- Browse Blog Archive>>