Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
The greatest among you will be your servant.
For those who exalt themselves will be humbled,
and those who humble themselves will be exalted. (Matthew 23:11-12)
Upward mobility is the road Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas has travelled for more than four decades. Humbly, she has pressed forward without the need for self-promotion. Her elevation to being the first female “Bishop-Designate” of the Dunamis Covenant Connection exemplifies how being a servant leader has positioned her to be “exalted.”
Archbishop Designate Robert Joel Rochford, Sr., senior pastor of New Life Cathedral in Brooklyn, NY recently announced that Dr. Austin-Lucas will be officially consecrated to the office of Bishop in a service on Friday, July 15, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. at the Princeton Marriott at Forrestal, 100 College Road East in Princeton, NJ.
Dr. Austin Lucas has walked the path God prepared for her by obediently responding to His calling on her life as apostle, pastor, missionary, educator, evangelist, and community activist.
Students at Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) in Manhattan who studied with the Professor of Religious Education were blessed with an educator who led by example. Her stellar educational background is proof positive of her scholarship. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Tufts University (Medford, MA); Master of Arts degree in Afro-American Studies from Boston University (Boston, MA); Master of Divinity degree in Counseling and Family Ministry from Colgate Rochester Divinity School (Rochester, NY); Master of Education degree from Teachers College at Columbia University (New York, NY); Doctor of Education degree in Religion and Education with an emphasis in Urban Education from Union Theological Seminary and Teachers College at Columbia University (New York, NY); and a Doctor of Ministry degree in Life Together -- Spirituality for Transforming Community from Wesley Theological Seminary (Washington, D.C.)
More than the degrees behind her name, Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas consistently exhibited a mentoring spirit towards her students and built genuine camaraderie with her colleagues, both faculty and staff. While this recent accomplishment is heartily applauded, the bittersweet reality is that it closes the chapter on Dr. Austin-Lucas’s role at ATS and Nyack College. Although her presence will be missed come fall 2016, the legacy in Christian education she leaves behind is a gift the Seminary and College will forever treasure.
Our prayers and well wishes go with Bishop-Designate Barbara Austin-Lucas!
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Isa Agape at Nyack College Rockland
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- Browse Blog Archive>>