Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
FROM THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT MICHAEL G. SCALES
Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, who served as the seventh president of Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary, and before that as its academic dean from 1958 until 1975, passed away on Saturday, June 18 in Fort Myers, Florida. Dr. Bailey devoted over three decades of loyal service to Nyack/ATS, which also included his role as a history professor. The Board of Trustees named him Professor Emeritus of History of Religion upon his retirement in 1982.
President Michael G. Scales commented, "My dear friend, Dr. Tom Bailey, spent his career translating the heart and vision of A.B. Simpson into the world of modern higher education. As dean, he was instrumental in gaining the accreditation that expanded the reach and influence of Nyack Missionary College through the offering of recognized four-year degrees. As president, he secured the granting of master’s degrees for what is now Alliance Theological Seminary.
Tom led Nyack to take tremendous steps forward without ever stepping off course, and he did so with uncanny gentleness, humor, and grace. Perhaps no individual since Dr. Simpson has had more of a shaping influence on Nyack College and ATS than he. Every Nyack College and ATS graduate who has been afforded the opportunity to serve, to work, and to excel because of his or her degree owes a debt of gratitude to Dr. Tom Bailey. As do I."
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>