Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
It would be hard for Nyack NYC campus Dean of Students Charles Hammond to forget the first Battery Park/Wall Street (BPWS) Prayer Fellowship on September 25, 2015. It happened to be his birthday. That inaugural prayer meeting was launched after the College was approached about hosting regular gatherings of Christians who work in the financial district. For nearly a year these Wall Street professionals and entrepreneurs have been meeting after work at Nyack before heading to their homes in the Tri-state area.
It was also on the same date, but nearly 160 years ago, that New York businessman Jeremiah Lanphier started his prayer meetings as the economic downturn caused the “Panic of 1857.” A lengthy revival was sparked by one man’s call to prayer causing people to flood churches, where they were strengthened and uplifted.
Today the Nyack campus prayer meetings continue and the call to prayer welcomed visitors from Biola University in California to the Battery Park/Wall Street gathering during their visit to New York for a class research assignment. The trip was coordinated by Dr. Alan McMahan, a Nyack College (NC ’80) and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS, ‘84) alumnus. McMahan, also a former ATS vice president, is currently a Biola associate professor and director of intercultural studies.
The students were refreshed by the service and in particular by worship led by NYC campus worship team, Submerged. Dr. Hammond described how the students were visibly moved by the powerful gathering and that this was another platform showing how Nyack “extends its borders.”
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>