Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
It would be hard for Nyack NYC campus Dean of Students Charles Hammond to forget the first Battery Park/Wall Street (BPWS) Prayer Fellowship on September 25, 2015. It happened to be his birthday. That inaugural prayer meeting was launched after the College was approached about hosting regular gatherings of Christians who work in the financial district. For nearly a year these Wall Street professionals and entrepreneurs have been meeting after work at Nyack before heading to their homes in the Tri-state area.
It was also on the same date, but nearly 160 years ago, that New York businessman Jeremiah Lanphier started his prayer meetings as the economic downturn caused the “Panic of 1857.” A lengthy revival was sparked by one man’s call to prayer causing people to flood churches, where they were strengthened and uplifted.
Today the Nyack campus prayer meetings continue and the call to prayer welcomed visitors from Biola University in California to the Battery Park/Wall Street gathering during their visit to New York for a class research assignment. The trip was coordinated by Dr. Alan McMahan, a Nyack College (NC ’80) and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS, ‘84) alumnus. McMahan, also a former ATS vice president, is currently a Biola associate professor and director of intercultural studies.
The students were refreshed by the service and in particular by worship led by NYC campus worship team, Submerged. Dr. Hammond described how the students were visibly moved by the powerful gathering and that this was another platform showing how Nyack “extends its borders.”
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>