Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
It would be hard for Nyack NYC campus Dean of Students Charles Hammond to forget the first Battery Park/Wall Street (BPWS) Prayer Fellowship on September 25, 2015. It happened to be his birthday. That inaugural prayer meeting was launched after the College was approached about hosting regular gatherings of Christians who work in the financial district. For nearly a year these Wall Street professionals and entrepreneurs have been meeting after work at Nyack before heading to their homes in the Tri-state area.
It was also on the same date, but nearly 160 years ago, that New York businessman Jeremiah Lanphier started his prayer meetings as the economic downturn caused the “Panic of 1857.” A lengthy revival was sparked by one man’s call to prayer causing people to flood churches, where they were strengthened and uplifted.
Today the Nyack campus prayer meetings continue and the call to prayer welcomed visitors from Biola University in California to the Battery Park/Wall Street gathering during their visit to New York for a class research assignment. The trip was coordinated by Dr. Alan McMahan, a Nyack College (NC ’80) and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS, ‘84) alumnus. McMahan, also a former ATS vice president, is currently a Biola associate professor and director of intercultural studies.
The students were refreshed by the service and in particular by worship led by NYC campus worship team, Submerged. Dr. Hammond described how the students were visibly moved by the powerful gathering and that this was another platform showing how Nyack “extends its borders.”
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Browse Blog Archive>>