Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
It would be hard for Nyack NYC campus Dean of Students Charles Hammond to forget the first Battery Park/Wall Street (BPWS) Prayer Fellowship on September 25, 2015. It happened to be his birthday. That inaugural prayer meeting was launched after the College was approached about hosting regular gatherings of Christians who work in the financial district. For nearly a year these Wall Street professionals and entrepreneurs have been meeting after work at Nyack before heading to their homes in the Tri-state area.
It was also on the same date, but nearly 160 years ago, that New York businessman Jeremiah Lanphier started his prayer meetings as the economic downturn caused the “Panic of 1857.” A lengthy revival was sparked by one man’s call to prayer causing people to flood churches, where they were strengthened and uplifted.
Today the Nyack campus prayer meetings continue and the call to prayer welcomed visitors from Biola University in California to the Battery Park/Wall Street gathering during their visit to New York for a class research assignment. The trip was coordinated by Dr. Alan McMahan, a Nyack College (NC ’80) and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS, ‘84) alumnus. McMahan, also a former ATS vice president, is currently a Biola associate professor and director of intercultural studies.
The students were refreshed by the service and in particular by worship led by NYC campus worship team, Submerged. Dr. Hammond described how the students were visibly moved by the powerful gathering and that this was another platform showing how Nyack “extends its borders.”
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>