Zahir Edwards (1996-2016)...President Scales Pays Tribute to a Nyack Warrior
President Michael G. Scales shares the following official statement in response to the passing of Nyack student, Zahir Edwards.
57 Good people pass away;
the godly often die before their time.
Isaiah 57:1a (NLT)
With heavy hearts the Nyack College campus community mourns the passing of Zahir Edwards, a nineteen-year-old member of Nyack’s men’s basketball team. Born in St. Maarten, Zahir completed high school at Our Saviour Lutheran in the Bronx.
The 6’6” forward who sported the number “20,”was much more than a strong athlete. Under the leadership of Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton, he was a part of a team of men who served as a role model for young people in the community, as well as for his peers and others blessed to know him. Coach Crafton shares a poignant reflection here.
Zahir had returned home for a visit with his family. Though no official word is available on the cause of his death, we are told that he was doing what he loved deeply prior to his untimely death—playing basketball.
Please keep the Edwards family in prayer as well as Coach Crafton and Zahir’s fellow Warriors.
- March 31: Finalists Compete in the Entrepreneurial Business Venture for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Dr. Fayne Frey, Keynote Speaker at Nyack's Student Research Conference
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Browse Blog Archive>>