Meet Nyack's 2016 Valedictorians!
Nyack College proudly announces its two valedictorians from the Class of 2016: Rachel Kunker (Schenectady, NY) and Tehillah Eskelund (Centerville, MA), who have both completed their Nyack undergraduate career with a 4.0 GPA.
Says Rachel Kunker, a Nyack College Honors Program student and intercultural studies major, “My freshman self would have never envisioned the senior I am today. Now, I am graduating with a double major in English and intercultural studies. I was able to study two areas God has made me passionate for and delve deeply into study which reflects Him. Although I am unsure about all of the details of my future, God has equipped me and prepared me for what lies ahead. He has taught how not to strive for perfection. He has shown me how to value everything He has given me, not just completing everything for a letter grade or worldly recognition. He has taught me the beauty of excellence.”
Rachel’s good friend and fellow valedictorian, Tehillah Eskelund shares, “Now, I am finishing this season of my life at Nyack, and I hope to continue with my studies. Upon graduation, I will have a B.A. in psychology, and I hope to use what I have learned about relating to people as I continue on into the medical field. Eventually, I would like to follow my parents’ example and use my skill sets in missions. They both moved to the U.S. as missionaries from South Africa. Now, my dad is a pastor on Cape Cod and runs a missions organization for AIDS orphans in South Africa called Emoyeni. Like both my mom and my dad, I want to use what I have learned to partner with people of different cultures and help those who need it most. As Nyack’s founding principles suggest, the biggest things we can do, the biggest adventures we can have, are for the “least of these.”
Recently during a visit to the Office of College Relations for a photo shoot, the two were curious about a door in the rear of Shuman Hall, the Tudor-style mansion that houses Administrative offices. In the midst of a very busy season on campus, Dr. David Turk, provost and vice president for academic affairs, graciously gave them a tour of the former residence of the Wertheim family.
"It was my pleasure to offer an impromptu tour of Shuman Hall to Rachel and Tehillah. Instead of the usual student stops to Admissions, Financial Aid, or the Registrar, I invited our valedictorians to see this former stately home through a fresh pair of eyes. A delightful pause in my day for two delightful young women. Wherever they head next, I'm confident they'll be servant-leaders making exceptional impact."
Our prayers and well wishes go out to Rachel and Tehillah!
- OCT 24-26: Office of Spiritual Formation Hosts Prayer Summit with Dave Powers
- OCT 26: Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Get Tickets for Nyack's Production of West Side Story!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Browse Blog Archive>>