Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Robert Glover, Sameh Maurice, and Carlton Brown
to Receive Honorary Doctorates from Nyack College
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold its 133rd commencement ceremony for nearly 600 graduates at Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. A livestream of the ceremony will be broadcast at www.nyack.edu/GradStream. This year’s commencement will also include the first graduates of Nyack’s Master of Arts in Social Work and the Master of Arts in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins degree programs.
Three honorary doctorates will be presented to Robert Glover (Doctor of Letters), Sameh Maurice (Doctor of Divinity), and Carlton Brown (Doctor of Divinity). The three (pictured above) will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch held at the Tarrytown House Estate, also in Westchester County. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Nyack’s 12th president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, as an annual tradition that recognizes the life work of honorary doctorate recipients and other individuals of outstanding public influence.
Mr. Robert Glover is the founder and executive director of Care for Children based in Beijing, China. The organization’s mission is to create a positive alternative to institutionalization of children through local family-based care. He is an advisor to the Chinese government on the social welfare of disadvantaged children. Care for Children was established in 1998 and has offices in China, Thailand, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Rev. Dr. Sameh Maurice is the senior pastor of Kasr El Dobara Evangelical Church, the largest evangelical (Presbyterian) church in Cairo, Egypt with a congregation of some 8,000 people, who reach out to the city and region through multiple ministries and activities. A former prominent surgeon, Pastor Sameh was always involved in ministry throughout his medical career. His sense of calling to full-time ministry grew increasingly and in 1988, he was fully persuaded that ministry was God’s will for his life. He has led his church to pray for Egypt since the early 1980s with the idea of a unified Egyptian church in mind.
Bishop Carlton Theophilus Brown has been the senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly, Inc. in Harlem, New York since February 2000 and was consecrated to the office of bishop in February 2008. His 1,200-member congregation includes more than 40 auxiliaries. Bishop Brown’s entry into full-time ministry in 1987 opened the doors for extensive travel around the world, which has included short term missions assignments and serving as guest speaker at conferences in Azerbaijan, Russia, Cuba, India, Africa, Venezuela, and throughout the Caribbean, as well as around the United States. Bishop Brown can be heard on Bethel’s weekly radio broadcast: “Becoming God’s Answer,” each Sunday at 7:00 a.m. on WLIB 1190 in the New York Tri-state area.
In the week leading up to Commencement Day, hooding ceremonies for doctorate and graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates and the School of Nursing pinning ceremony will be held at various locations for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates. For more information, visit the webpage at www.nyack.edu/commencement.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>