Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Robert Glover, Sameh Maurice, and Carlton Brown
to Receive Honorary Doctorates from Nyack College
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold its 133rd commencement ceremony for nearly 600 graduates at Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. A livestream of the ceremony will be broadcast at www.nyack.edu/GradStream. This year’s commencement will also include the first graduates of Nyack’s Master of Arts in Social Work and the Master of Arts in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins degree programs.
Three honorary doctorates will be presented to Robert Glover (Doctor of Letters), Sameh Maurice (Doctor of Divinity), and Carlton Brown (Doctor of Divinity). The three (pictured above) will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch held at the Tarrytown House Estate, also in Westchester County. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Nyack’s 12th president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, as an annual tradition that recognizes the life work of honorary doctorate recipients and other individuals of outstanding public influence.
Mr. Robert Glover is the founder and executive director of Care for Children based in Beijing, China. The organization’s mission is to create a positive alternative to institutionalization of children through local family-based care. He is an advisor to the Chinese government on the social welfare of disadvantaged children. Care for Children was established in 1998 and has offices in China, Thailand, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Rev. Dr. Sameh Maurice is the senior pastor of Kasr El Dobara Evangelical Church, the largest evangelical (Presbyterian) church in Cairo, Egypt with a congregation of some 8,000 people, who reach out to the city and region through multiple ministries and activities. A former prominent surgeon, Pastor Sameh was always involved in ministry throughout his medical career. His sense of calling to full-time ministry grew increasingly and in 1988, he was fully persuaded that ministry was God’s will for his life. He has led his church to pray for Egypt since the early 1980s with the idea of a unified Egyptian church in mind.
Bishop Carlton Theophilus Brown has been the senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly, Inc. in Harlem, New York since February 2000 and was consecrated to the office of bishop in February 2008. His 1,200-member congregation includes more than 40 auxiliaries. Bishop Brown’s entry into full-time ministry in 1987 opened the doors for extensive travel around the world, which has included short term missions assignments and serving as guest speaker at conferences in Azerbaijan, Russia, Cuba, India, Africa, Venezuela, and throughout the Caribbean, as well as around the United States. Bishop Brown can be heard on Bethel’s weekly radio broadcast: “Becoming God’s Answer,” each Sunday at 7:00 a.m. on WLIB 1190 in the New York Tri-state area.
In the week leading up to Commencement Day, hooding ceremonies for doctorate and graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates and the School of Nursing pinning ceremony will be held at various locations for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates. For more information, visit the webpage at www.nyack.edu/commencement.
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>