Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Robert Glover, Sameh Maurice, and Carlton Brown
to Receive Honorary Doctorates from Nyack College
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold its 133rd commencement ceremony for nearly 600 graduates at Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. A livestream of the ceremony will be broadcast at www.nyack.edu/GradStream. This year’s commencement will also include the first graduates of Nyack’s Master of Arts in Social Work and the Master of Arts in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins degree programs.
Three honorary doctorates will be presented to Robert Glover (Doctor of Letters), Sameh Maurice (Doctor of Divinity), and Carlton Brown (Doctor of Divinity). The three (pictured above) will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch held at the Tarrytown House Estate, also in Westchester County. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Nyack’s 12th president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, as an annual tradition that recognizes the life work of honorary doctorate recipients and other individuals of outstanding public influence.
Mr. Robert Glover is the founder and executive director of Care for Children based in Beijing, China. The organization’s mission is to create a positive alternative to institutionalization of children through local family-based care. He is an advisor to the Chinese government on the social welfare of disadvantaged children. Care for Children was established in 1998 and has offices in China, Thailand, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Rev. Dr. Sameh Maurice is the senior pastor of Kasr El Dobara Evangelical Church, the largest evangelical (Presbyterian) church in Cairo, Egypt with a congregation of some 8,000 people, who reach out to the city and region through multiple ministries and activities. A former prominent surgeon, Pastor Sameh was always involved in ministry throughout his medical career. His sense of calling to full-time ministry grew increasingly and in 1988, he was fully persuaded that ministry was God’s will for his life. He has led his church to pray for Egypt since the early 1980s with the idea of a unified Egyptian church in mind.
Bishop Carlton Theophilus Brown has been the senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly, Inc. in Harlem, New York since February 2000 and was consecrated to the office of bishop in February 2008. His 1,200-member congregation includes more than 40 auxiliaries. Bishop Brown’s entry into full-time ministry in 1987 opened the doors for extensive travel around the world, which has included short term missions assignments and serving as guest speaker at conferences in Azerbaijan, Russia, Cuba, India, Africa, Venezuela, and throughout the Caribbean, as well as around the United States. Bishop Brown can be heard on Bethel’s weekly radio broadcast: “Becoming God’s Answer,” each Sunday at 7:00 a.m. on WLIB 1190 in the New York Tri-state area.
In the week leading up to Commencement Day, hooding ceremonies for doctorate and graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates and the School of Nursing pinning ceremony will be held at various locations for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates. For more information, visit the webpage at www.nyack.edu/commencement.
- March 31: Finalists Compete in the Entrepreneurial Business Venture for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Dr. Fayne Frey, Keynote Speaker at Nyack's Student Research Conference
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Browse Blog Archive>>