Clarence "Beef" Castel 1928-2007
Clarence R. Castel: April 12, 1928-February 28, 2007
(Class of 1956 reunion picture: top row, second from right)
A college degree can be the key that opens doors for many of us. But for some it is not so much the letters that follow a person’s name that is significant. It’s more about the reflection of their character that people knew from the sunrise until the sunset of their lives.
Nyack alumnus, Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. passed away on February 28 in Fort Myers, FL. His is a life that will long be remembered by Rockland County as well as the Nyack college community. He was more than a business leader—employed by the former Nyack Bank and Trust Company, where he got his start; the career track change to the title insurance business; or the Nyack Hospital Foundation where he served first as Vice President of Corporate Development and later as Executive Director until his retirement in 2003.
Beef Castel was the man who touched countless lives as a military chaplain, a Nyack Ambulance Corps volunteer, a Rotary member, and the chairman of the interfaith division of Israel Bonds in Rockland County.
At his 50th class reunion last fall, his laughter chimed in with classmates who fondly recalled their peers and professors from their years of study on the Hillside. Listening to them share memories—as vivid as if they happened yesterday—proved that the Nyack College experience is more than an opportunity to earn a degree. God-ordained connections take place, bonding people who become longtime friends.
Predeceased by his wife, Alice Castel, he is survived by two sons, Ray Castel of New City, NY and Dr. Joseph Castel of Pennsylvania and his beloved grandson, Tre Castel of New City, NY. Other family members include sisters: Reba, Leona, Lillian and Mildred and brothers: John and Robert and many nieces and nephews.
Family and friends remembered Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. at a funeral service on Monday, March 5 at the Clarkstown Reformed Church in West Nyack, NY.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>