Clarence "Beef" Castel 1928-2007
Clarence R. Castel: April 12, 1928-February 28, 2007
(Class of 1956 reunion picture: top row, second from right)
A college degree can be the key that opens doors for many of us. But for some it is not so much the letters that follow a person’s name that is significant. It’s more about the reflection of their character that people knew from the sunrise until the sunset of their lives.
Nyack alumnus, Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. passed away on February 28 in Fort Myers, FL. His is a life that will long be remembered by Rockland County as well as the Nyack college community. He was more than a business leader—employed by the former Nyack Bank and Trust Company, where he got his start; the career track change to the title insurance business; or the Nyack Hospital Foundation where he served first as Vice President of Corporate Development and later as Executive Director until his retirement in 2003.
Beef Castel was the man who touched countless lives as a military chaplain, a Nyack Ambulance Corps volunteer, a Rotary member, and the chairman of the interfaith division of Israel Bonds in Rockland County.
At his 50th class reunion last fall, his laughter chimed in with classmates who fondly recalled their peers and professors from their years of study on the Hillside. Listening to them share memories—as vivid as if they happened yesterday—proved that the Nyack College experience is more than an opportunity to earn a degree. God-ordained connections take place, bonding people who become longtime friends.
Predeceased by his wife, Alice Castel, he is survived by two sons, Ray Castel of New City, NY and Dr. Joseph Castel of Pennsylvania and his beloved grandson, Tre Castel of New City, NY. Other family members include sisters: Reba, Leona, Lillian and Mildred and brothers: John and Robert and many nieces and nephews.
Family and friends remembered Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. at a funeral service on Monday, March 5 at the Clarkstown Reformed Church in West Nyack, NY.
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- Brightnie Jones ('09) Moves on as a Top All-Star Vocalist on BET's Sunday Best
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- Brightnie Jones Back in BET's "Sunday Best" Vocal Competition
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- New York City Fish Count
- Browse Blog Archive>>