Clarence "Beef" Castel 1928-2007
Clarence R. Castel: April 12, 1928-February 28, 2007
(Class of 1956 reunion picture: top row, second from right)
A college degree can be the key that opens doors for many of us. But for some it is not so much the letters that follow a person’s name that is significant. It’s more about the reflection of their character that people knew from the sunrise until the sunset of their lives.
Nyack alumnus, Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. passed away on February 28 in Fort Myers, FL. His is a life that will long be remembered by Rockland County as well as the Nyack college community. He was more than a business leader—employed by the former Nyack Bank and Trust Company, where he got his start; the career track change to the title insurance business; or the Nyack Hospital Foundation where he served first as Vice President of Corporate Development and later as Executive Director until his retirement in 2003.
Beef Castel was the man who touched countless lives as a military chaplain, a Nyack Ambulance Corps volunteer, a Rotary member, and the chairman of the interfaith division of Israel Bonds in Rockland County.
At his 50th class reunion last fall, his laughter chimed in with classmates who fondly recalled their peers and professors from their years of study on the Hillside. Listening to them share memories—as vivid as if they happened yesterday—proved that the Nyack College experience is more than an opportunity to earn a degree. God-ordained connections take place, bonding people who become longtime friends.
Predeceased by his wife, Alice Castel, he is survived by two sons, Ray Castel of New City, NY and Dr. Joseph Castel of Pennsylvania and his beloved grandson, Tre Castel of New City, NY. Other family members include sisters: Reba, Leona, Lillian and Mildred and brothers: John and Robert and many nieces and nephews.
Family and friends remembered Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. at a funeral service on Monday, March 5 at the Clarkstown Reformed Church in West Nyack, NY.
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- English Chairman Announces Publication of Fine Print
- Career Talk on Banking at Nyack College Rockland
- RELEASE: Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement 2015
- School of Music in Concert at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center
- 2016 Global Service-Learning Trips For Nyack Students
- Nyack College Rockland Chorale Spring Concert
- Nyack College Student Research Conference Winners
- Service With a Smile #NyackCityServe
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Music Students Minister at Morristown's Market Street Mission
- ATS Colloquium On State and Religion: The Case of Israel
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Browse Blog Archive>>