Social Work Students on Capitol Hill for Social Work Advocacy Day
Dr. Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, director of Nyack’s Master in Social Work Program and an associate professor of the School of Social Work, shared the following great news about a recent visit with her students to the nation’s capital.
Eighteen students from the Nyack College School of Social Work travelled to Washington, D.C. to attend Student Advocacy Day on the Hill. The goal of the event was to discuss how policy is shaped and to learn the critical issues that affect the social work profession.
This year's event focused on H.R. 3712, The Improving Access to Mental Health Act of 2015. Social workers are the largest group of mental health service providers (over 200,000 nationwide). Federal law recognizes social work as one of the core mental health professions, yet Medicare reimburses social workers at a lower rate than the 85% reimbursement that other non-physician practitioners (eg. physical therapist and occupational therapist) receive. The Improving Access to Mental Health Act of 2015/HR allows licensed social workers to receive the same Medicare reimbursement as other non-physician practitioners.
Students had the pleasure and honor of meeting with Congressman Jose Serrano (at desk). They shared compelling stories and asked Rep. Serrano to co-sponsor The Improving Access to Mental Health Act of 2015/ H.R.3712 and he agreed! Students were empowered by the impact that they could have on legislation, so much so that they are already planning next year's trip to Student Advocacy Day on the Hill.
This D.C. visit is another illustration of the exposure and opportunities that Nyack College provides for its academically excellent and socially engaged emerging leaders.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>