MAY 2016: Global Service-Learning Course in Mexico
For seven years, Nyack College has offered global service-learning trips to Mexico that have not only contributed to the well-being of many Mexican people but have also helped transform Nyack students into global-minded Christian citizens.
A May 2016 business course (BUS 382), Missions Outreach from a Business Perspective taught by Dr. James Muckell and Dr. Gordon Boronow will be sponsored by the School of Business and Leadership. The group will leave the week of May 9.
Here's what teams of Nyack students and faculty have accomplished in Mexico over the years:
- Built a children’s home/orphanage that is soon to become operational.
- Established a fledgling micro-finance program that is helping several pastors/businessmen serve the Lord.
- Helped a Christian bookstore become automated and better equipped to serve the needs of the community.
- Met with Mexican business owners on every trip. This has been encouraging to both the businessmen/women and to the students.
These new opportunities await the Nyack team:
- The people of the Yucatan Peninsula need to be reached with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A church needs to be built to house a growing congregation in a village of 12,000 people deep in the Yucatan jungle.
- Children need to hear the gospel. Many times, the parents respond positively to the message because their children have been moved to respond.
The cost of the entire trip is largely dependent on the airfare. Past trips have been between $1,300 and $1,500. Through the generosity of Nyack's own Assistant Professor of Business, Dr. Gordon Boronow, a $500 stipend will be provided by his Titus Foundation for each student who participates.
For more information on GS-L trips, contact the Global Service-Learning Office at (845)-675-4528 or (845)675-4525 or by email at Scott.Reitz@nyack.edu or gslassist@nyackedu.
Content for this post was provided by Nyack's Associate Professor of Accounting James Muckell.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>