MAY 2016: Global Service-Learning Course in Mexico
For seven years, Nyack College has offered global service-learning trips to Mexico that have not only contributed to the well-being of many Mexican people but have also helped transform Nyack students into global-minded Christian citizens.
A May 2016 business course (BUS 382), Missions Outreach from a Business Perspective taught by Dr. James Muckell and Dr. Gordon Boronow will be sponsored by the School of Business and Leadership. The group will leave the week of May 9.
Here's what teams of Nyack students and faculty have accomplished in Mexico over the years:
- Built a children’s home/orphanage that is soon to become operational.
- Established a fledgling micro-finance program that is helping several pastors/businessmen serve the Lord.
- Helped a Christian bookstore become automated and better equipped to serve the needs of the community.
- Met with Mexican business owners on every trip. This has been encouraging to both the businessmen/women and to the students.
These new opportunities await the Nyack team:
- The people of the Yucatan Peninsula need to be reached with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A church needs to be built to house a growing congregation in a village of 12,000 people deep in the Yucatan jungle.
- Children need to hear the gospel. Many times, the parents respond positively to the message because their children have been moved to respond.
The cost of the entire trip is largely dependent on the airfare. Past trips have been between $1,300 and $1,500. Through the generosity of Nyack's own Assistant Professor of Business, Dr. Gordon Boronow, a $500 stipend will be provided by his Titus Foundation for each student who participates.
For more information on GS-L trips, contact the Global Service-Learning Office at (845)-675-4528 or (845)675-4525 or by email at Scott.Reitz@nyack.edu or gslassist@nyackedu.
Content for this post was provided by Nyack's Associate Professor of Accounting James Muckell.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>