MAY 2016: Global Service-Learning Course in Mexico
For seven years, Nyack College has offered global service-learning trips to Mexico that have not only contributed to the well-being of many Mexican people but have also helped transform Nyack students into global-minded Christian citizens.
A May 2016 business course (BUS 382), Missions Outreach from a Business Perspective taught by Dr. James Muckell and Dr. Gordon Boronow will be sponsored by the School of Business and Leadership. The group will leave the week of May 9.
Here's what teams of Nyack students and faculty have accomplished in Mexico over the years:
- Built a children’s home/orphanage that is soon to become operational.
- Established a fledgling micro-finance program that is helping several pastors/businessmen serve the Lord.
- Helped a Christian bookstore become automated and better equipped to serve the needs of the community.
- Met with Mexican business owners on every trip. This has been encouraging to both the businessmen/women and to the students.
These new opportunities await the Nyack team:
- The people of the Yucatan Peninsula need to be reached with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A church needs to be built to house a growing congregation in a village of 12,000 people deep in the Yucatan jungle.
- Children need to hear the gospel. Many times, the parents respond positively to the message because their children have been moved to respond.
The cost of the entire trip is largely dependent on the airfare. Past trips have been between $1,300 and $1,500. Through the generosity of Nyack's own Assistant Professor of Business, Dr. Gordon Boronow, a $500 stipend will be provided by his Titus Foundation for each student who participates.
For more information on GS-L trips, contact the Global Service-Learning Office at (845)-675-4528 or (845)675-4525 or by email at Scott.Reitz@nyack.edu or gslassist@nyackedu.
Content for this post was provided by Nyack's Associate Professor of Accounting James Muckell.
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Browse Blog Archive>>