MAY 2016: Global Service-Learning Course in Mexico
For seven years, Nyack College has offered global service-learning trips to Mexico that have not only contributed to the well-being of many Mexican people but have also helped transform Nyack students into global-minded Christian citizens.
A May 2016 business course (BUS 382), Missions Outreach from a Business Perspective taught by Dr. James Muckell and Dr. Gordon Boronow will be sponsored by the School of Business and Leadership. The group will leave the week of May 9.
Here's what teams of Nyack students and faculty have accomplished in Mexico over the years:
- Built a children’s home/orphanage that is soon to become operational.
- Established a fledgling micro-finance program that is helping several pastors/businessmen serve the Lord.
- Helped a Christian bookstore become automated and better equipped to serve the needs of the community.
- Met with Mexican business owners on every trip. This has been encouraging to both the businessmen/women and to the students.
These new opportunities await the Nyack team:
- The people of the Yucatan Peninsula need to be reached with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A church needs to be built to house a growing congregation in a village of 12,000 people deep in the Yucatan jungle.
- Children need to hear the gospel. Many times, the parents respond positively to the message because their children have been moved to respond.
The cost of the entire trip is largely dependent on the airfare. Past trips have been between $1,300 and $1,500. Through the generosity of Nyack's own Assistant Professor of Business, Dr. Gordon Boronow, a $500 stipend will be provided by his Titus Foundation for each student who participates.
For more information on GS-L trips, contact the Global Service-Learning Office at (845)-675-4528 or (845)675-4525 or by email at Scott.Reitz@nyack.edu or gslassist@nyackedu.
Content for this post was provided by Nyack's Associate Professor of Accounting James Muckell.
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Browse Blog Archive>>