Nyack NYC School of Music's Noel Wippler...Simply Grand
Nyack New York City campus music student, Noël Simoné Wippler, is the first place winner of the Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival vocal competition. In addition to her trophy and a $2,000 grand prize, she and her group, Band of Friends NYC, will be featured in a 2017 performance.
Born and raised in Harlem, Noel (pictured center at mic) began studying piano at the Boys and Girls Harbor Conservatory at the age of six and began performing at the young age of eight. She continued singing in local churches, choirs, dance, and open jam sessions which led her to musical theater studies at American Musical and Dramatic Academy New York and majoring in vocal performance at Nyack College School of Music.
Passionate about a variety of genres—jazz, classical, R&B, and rock—a broad spectrum of opportunities allowed her to use her gifts. In 2013, Noel began to work with jazz pianist Lafayette Harris Jr., who was responsible for her first "gig," and who introduced her to musicians Paul Beaudry, Lonnie Plaxico, Will Terrill, Houston Pearson, and Rome Neal.
She sang a variety of Donald Byrd tunes with a small vocal group and band at the Dr. Donald Byrd Tribute at St. Peter's Church as well as at Abyssinian Baptist Church accompanied by jazz great Herbie Hancock. In 2014, she successfully competed in the First Annual Duke Ellington Vocal Jazz Competition, winning second place. She has played with Inti and the Moon at Queens Library, at the Iridium with the Blues Ambassadors, Festival Du Monde in Montreal with Dahka Band, and most recently at the Brooklyn Bowl with Jack Ross .
In 2015, Noel released three different albums including one of her original music, another of jazz standards accompanied by guitarist Solomon Hicks, and lastly, her songwriting collaboration with dynamic NY-based band Jack Ross. She debuted on the stage of Lincoln Center Avery Fisher Hall with the Nyack College Jazz Band last spring and also performed with the Nyack College Chorale in guest conductor Victoria Bond's debut of "Dew,Precious Dew,” a commissioned work.
Outside of her studies at Nyack, she is a freelance vocalist and bandleader of "Band of Friends NYC", which performs around Manhattan and the Tri-State area. She has graced the stage of Harlem venues such as The Lenox Lounge, Paris Blues, SHRINE, Village Underground, and recently Gin Fizz.
Enjoy performances by Noel here.
The Nyack College campus community congratulates Noel on her latest outstanding achievement!
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Isa Agape at Nyack College Rockland
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- Browse Blog Archive>>