Nyack NYC School of Music's Noel Wippler...Simply Grand
Nyack New York City campus music student, Noël Simoné Wippler, is the first place winner of the Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival vocal competition. In addition to her trophy and a $2,000 grand prize, she and her group, Band of Friends NYC, will be featured in a 2017 performance.
Born and raised in Harlem, Noel (pictured center at mic) began studying piano at the Boys and Girls Harbor Conservatory at the age of six and began performing at the young age of eight. She continued singing in local churches, choirs, dance, and open jam sessions which led her to musical theater studies at American Musical and Dramatic Academy New York and majoring in vocal performance at Nyack College School of Music.
Passionate about a variety of genres—jazz, classical, R&B, and rock—a broad spectrum of opportunities allowed her to use her gifts. In 2013, Noel began to work with jazz pianist Lafayette Harris Jr., who was responsible for her first "gig," and who introduced her to musicians Paul Beaudry, Lonnie Plaxico, Will Terrill, Houston Pearson, and Rome Neal.
She sang a variety of Donald Byrd tunes with a small vocal group and band at the Dr. Donald Byrd Tribute at St. Peter's Church as well as at Abyssinian Baptist Church accompanied by jazz great Herbie Hancock. In 2014, she successfully competed in the First Annual Duke Ellington Vocal Jazz Competition, winning second place. She has played with Inti and the Moon at Queens Library, at the Iridium with the Blues Ambassadors, Festival Du Monde in Montreal with Dahka Band, and most recently at the Brooklyn Bowl with Jack Ross .
In 2015, Noel released three different albums including one of her original music, another of jazz standards accompanied by guitarist Solomon Hicks, and lastly, her songwriting collaboration with dynamic NY-based band Jack Ross. She debuted on the stage of Lincoln Center Avery Fisher Hall with the Nyack College Jazz Band last spring and also performed with the Nyack College Chorale in guest conductor Victoria Bond's debut of "Dew,Precious Dew,” a commissioned work.
Outside of her studies at Nyack, she is a freelance vocalist and bandleader of "Band of Friends NYC", which performs around Manhattan and the Tri-State area. She has graced the stage of Harlem venues such as The Lenox Lounge, Paris Blues, SHRINE, Village Underground, and recently Gin Fizz.
Enjoy performances by Noel here.
The Nyack College campus community congratulates Noel on her latest outstanding achievement!
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Browse Blog Archive>>