Nyack NYC School of Music's Noel Wippler...Simply Grand
Nyack New York City campus music student, Noël Simoné Wippler, is the first place winner of the Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival vocal competition. In addition to her trophy and a $2,000 grand prize, she and her group, Band of Friends NYC, will be featured in a 2017 performance.
Born and raised in Harlem, Noel (pictured center at mic) began studying piano at the Boys and Girls Harbor Conservatory at the age of six and began performing at the young age of eight. She continued singing in local churches, choirs, dance, and open jam sessions which led her to musical theater studies at American Musical and Dramatic Academy New York and majoring in vocal performance at Nyack College School of Music.
Passionate about a variety of genres—jazz, classical, R&B, and rock—a broad spectrum of opportunities allowed her to use her gifts. In 2013, Noel began to work with jazz pianist Lafayette Harris Jr., who was responsible for her first "gig," and who introduced her to musicians Paul Beaudry, Lonnie Plaxico, Will Terrill, Houston Pearson, and Rome Neal.
She sang a variety of Donald Byrd tunes with a small vocal group and band at the Dr. Donald Byrd Tribute at St. Peter's Church as well as at Abyssinian Baptist Church accompanied by jazz great Herbie Hancock. In 2014, she successfully competed in the First Annual Duke Ellington Vocal Jazz Competition, winning second place. She has played with Inti and the Moon at Queens Library, at the Iridium with the Blues Ambassadors, Festival Du Monde in Montreal with Dahka Band, and most recently at the Brooklyn Bowl with Jack Ross .
In 2015, Noel released three different albums including one of her original music, another of jazz standards accompanied by guitarist Solomon Hicks, and lastly, her songwriting collaboration with dynamic NY-based band Jack Ross. She debuted on the stage of Lincoln Center Avery Fisher Hall with the Nyack College Jazz Band last spring and also performed with the Nyack College Chorale in guest conductor Victoria Bond's debut of "Dew,Precious Dew,” a commissioned work.
Outside of her studies at Nyack, she is a freelance vocalist and bandleader of "Band of Friends NYC", which performs around Manhattan and the Tri-State area. She has graced the stage of Harlem venues such as The Lenox Lounge, Paris Blues, SHRINE, Village Underground, and recently Gin Fizz.
Enjoy performances by Noel here.
The Nyack College campus community congratulates Noel on her latest outstanding achievement!
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- Browse Blog Archive>>