Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
When the Nyack Center observed its annual Black History Month Celebration with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest this past weekend, Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller was on hand again in his role as coordinator of the competition.
Rockland County students between the ages of 13 and 20 gave their best delivery of excerpts from speeches by Dr. King. Participants represented Nyack High School, Pearl River High School, Ramapo High School and Spring Valley High School. The 2016 winners are Melissa Denizard (1st place), Aleah Green (2nd place), and Ganapathi Bhandaru (3rd place).
Local leaders who served as judges included Dominican College Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Dorothy Filiramo; three-time MLK oratory contest winner and current graduate student, Devonte Gilchrist; retired Journal News editor and columnist, Bob Baird; St. Thomas Aquinas College Admissions counselor, Jessica Bullock; retired East Ramapo High School educator, Drusilla Kinzonzi; Orange & Rockland representative, Tatiana Joyner and East Ramapo High School Assistant Principal, Dr. Dionne Olaniju.
Orange & Rockland Utilities was the corporate sponsor.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>