Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
When the Nyack Center observed its annual Black History Month Celebration with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest this past weekend, Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller was on hand again in his role as coordinator of the competition.
Rockland County students between the ages of 13 and 20 gave their best delivery of excerpts from speeches by Dr. King. Participants represented Nyack High School, Pearl River High School, Ramapo High School and Spring Valley High School. The 2016 winners are Melissa Denizard (1st place), Aleah Green (2nd place), and Ganapathi Bhandaru (3rd place).
Local leaders who served as judges included Dominican College Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Dorothy Filiramo; three-time MLK oratory contest winner and current graduate student, Devonte Gilchrist; retired Journal News editor and columnist, Bob Baird; St. Thomas Aquinas College Admissions counselor, Jessica Bullock; retired East Ramapo High School educator, Drusilla Kinzonzi; Orange & Rockland representative, Tatiana Joyner and East Ramapo High School Assistant Principal, Dr. Dionne Olaniju.
Orange & Rockland Utilities was the corporate sponsor.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>