Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
When the Nyack Center observed its annual Black History Month Celebration with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest this past weekend, Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller was on hand again in his role as coordinator of the competition.
Rockland County students between the ages of 13 and 20 gave their best delivery of excerpts from speeches by Dr. King. Participants represented Nyack High School, Pearl River High School, Ramapo High School and Spring Valley High School. The 2016 winners are Melissa Denizard (1st place), Aleah Green (2nd place), and Ganapathi Bhandaru (3rd place).
Local leaders who served as judges included Dominican College Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Dorothy Filiramo; three-time MLK oratory contest winner and current graduate student, Devonte Gilchrist; retired Journal News editor and columnist, Bob Baird; St. Thomas Aquinas College Admissions counselor, Jessica Bullock; retired East Ramapo High School educator, Drusilla Kinzonzi; Orange & Rockland representative, Tatiana Joyner and East Ramapo High School Assistant Principal, Dr. Dionne Olaniju.
Orange & Rockland Utilities was the corporate sponsor.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>