Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
When the Nyack Center observed its annual Black History Month Celebration with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest this past weekend, Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller was on hand again in his role as coordinator of the competition.
Rockland County students between the ages of 13 and 20 gave their best delivery of excerpts from speeches by Dr. King. Participants represented Nyack High School, Pearl River High School, Ramapo High School and Spring Valley High School. The 2016 winners are Melissa Denizard (1st place), Aleah Green (2nd place), and Ganapathi Bhandaru (3rd place).
Local leaders who served as judges included Dominican College Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Dorothy Filiramo; three-time MLK oratory contest winner and current graduate student, Devonte Gilchrist; retired Journal News editor and columnist, Bob Baird; St. Thomas Aquinas College Admissions counselor, Jessica Bullock; retired East Ramapo High School educator, Drusilla Kinzonzi; Orange & Rockland representative, Tatiana Joyner and East Ramapo High School Assistant Principal, Dr. Dionne Olaniju.
Orange & Rockland Utilities was the corporate sponsor.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>