Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
The Nyack College Rockland campus learned of the passing of Dr. Susan G. Gordon, who with her husband, Dr. Edmund W. Gordon (pictured above) were honored by Nyack as recipients of the 2012 Social Justice Day Award.
Dr. Gordon’s well-lived life is reflected in an extensive list of accomplishments—both professionally and in her role as a servant leader in the community. The co-founder of the CEJJES Institute with her husband, the Pomona, NY resident was a graduate of Howard University College of Medicine in Washington, D.C. She practiced pediatrics in Rockland County before becoming an associate professor of pediatrics, first at New York Medical College and then at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons. She also taught at Metropolitan Hospital, The Children's Hospital of the New York Presbyterian Hospital in the City of New York, and Harlem Hospital.
During her eight years on the East Ramapo Central School District Board of Education she was elected board president. Dr. Gordon was a board member and trustee of the Martin Luther King Multi-Purpose Center and served a four-year term on the Nyack Hospital Board of Trustees. In 2006, she and her husband were inducted into the Rockland County Civil Rights Hall of Fame.
The Gordons were always proud to proclaim publically that their “greatest collaboration is their four children (two sons and two daughters), and by extension their nine grandchildren and great grandson.”
There will be no public funeral or interment. Any plans for a memorial will be announced at a later date.
The campus community is asked to keep the Gordon family in your prayers.
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>