Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
The sixth annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest will be held on Saturday, February 6 at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave., in downtown Nyack at 7:00 p.m. as a part of the Center’s 2016 Black History Month Celebration for Rockland County youth ages 13-20.
For more information and registration, contact contest coordinator Earl Miller (pictured above) at 845.675.4791 or at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu.
Four Rockland County Colleges—St. Thomas Aquinas, Dominican, Rockland Community College and Nyack College partner in the event—coordinated by Mr. Miller who is Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations.
Contestants will deliver a 3-5 minute segment of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The orators will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time frame and overall presentation. Awards to first, second, and third place winners will be scholarships of $1,000, $500, and $250 at Dominican, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rockland Community College, and Nyack College. Additional scholarships of $500, $300, and $200 will be awarded by other colleges and universities.
Orange & Rockland Utilities is the corporate sponsor.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>