Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
The sixth annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest will be held on Saturday, February 6 at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave., in downtown Nyack at 7:00 p.m. as a part of the Center’s 2016 Black History Month Celebration for Rockland County youth ages 13-20.
For more information and registration, contact contest coordinator Earl Miller (pictured above) at 845.675.4791 or at [email protected]
Four Rockland County Colleges—St. Thomas Aquinas, Dominican, Rockland Community College and Nyack College partner in the event—coordinated by Mr. Miller who is Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations.
Contestants will deliver a 3-5 minute segment of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The orators will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time frame and overall presentation. Awards to first, second, and third place winners will be scholarships of $1,000, $500, and $250 at Dominican, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rockland Community College, and Nyack College. Additional scholarships of $500, $300, and $200 will be awarded by other colleges and universities.
Orange & Rockland Utilities is the corporate sponsor.
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Browse Blog Archive>>