Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
The sixth annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest will be held on Saturday, February 6 at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave., in downtown Nyack at 7:00 p.m. as a part of the Center’s 2016 Black History Month Celebration for Rockland County youth ages 13-20.
For more information and registration, contact contest coordinator Earl Miller (pictured above) at 845.675.4791 or at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu.
Four Rockland County Colleges—St. Thomas Aquinas, Dominican, Rockland Community College and Nyack College partner in the event—coordinated by Mr. Miller who is Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations.
Contestants will deliver a 3-5 minute segment of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The orators will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time frame and overall presentation. Awards to first, second, and third place winners will be scholarships of $1,000, $500, and $250 at Dominican, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rockland Community College, and Nyack College. Additional scholarships of $500, $300, and $200 will be awarded by other colleges and universities.
Orange & Rockland Utilities is the corporate sponsor.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>