Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
The sixth annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest will be held on Saturday, February 6 at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave., in downtown Nyack at 7:00 p.m. as a part of the Center’s 2016 Black History Month Celebration for Rockland County youth ages 13-20.
For more information and registration, contact contest coordinator Earl Miller (pictured above) at 845.675.4791 or at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu.
Four Rockland County Colleges—St. Thomas Aquinas, Dominican, Rockland Community College and Nyack College partner in the event—coordinated by Mr. Miller who is Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations.
Contestants will deliver a 3-5 minute segment of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The orators will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time frame and overall presentation. Awards to first, second, and third place winners will be scholarships of $1,000, $500, and $250 at Dominican, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rockland Community College, and Nyack College. Additional scholarships of $500, $300, and $200 will be awarded by other colleges and universities.
Orange & Rockland Utilities is the corporate sponsor.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>