Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
A vital chapter of Nyack College history has been penned by 1964 Nyack alumnus David P. Jones. So Being Sent…They Went: A History of the CMA Mission in Cabina 1885-1957 is a 259-page account of the first missionary team sent abroad in 1884 by Dr. A.B. Simpson. Led by John Condit, four other "Congo Band" members included Frank Gerrish, Jeans Jensen, William Pearson and William Quayle. All five were in the first graduating class of Dr. Simpson’s Missionary Training Institute established in Manhattan, the precursor of today’s Nyack College.
Nyack/ATS President Michael Scales applauds Jones for his tireless dedication to writing this untold story and his “stewardship of this project that honors God, Dr. A.B. Simpson, and of course, the first five courageous C&MA missionaries who selflessly served in the Congo.” Alliance historian and theologian, Dr. Paul King, calls the book, “a candid illuminating analysis.” President of the Evangelical Community of the Alliance in the Congo, Rev. Mabiala Justin-Robert Kenzo says, “It is a fascinating narrative—from an excellent storyteller—of how the history of the Congo Church is intertwined with the history of the Cabinda Church.”
Jones shares, “I am working on the revision and translation of the book to use in Cabinda this coming June when I will teach a history of the Alliance church there.”
Former Nyack College Missionaries in Residence (1977-78), David Jones and his wife, Judy, also a Nyack alumna, served in Brazil with the C&MA for more than three decades in evangelism, discipleship, church planting and leadership training. Dave directs Portuguese World Outreach and leads College of Prayer modules in Brazil, Portugal, and Cabinda, Angola.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>