Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
A vital chapter of Nyack College history has been penned by 1964 Nyack alumnus David P. Jones. So Being Sent…They Went: A History of the CMA Mission in Cabina 1885-1957 is a 259-page account of the first missionary team sent abroad in 1884 by Dr. A.B. Simpson. Led by John Condit, four other "Congo Band" members included Frank Gerrish, Jeans Jensen, William Pearson and William Quayle. All five were in the first graduating class of Dr. Simpson’s Missionary Training Institute established in Manhattan, the precursor of today’s Nyack College.
Nyack/ATS President Michael Scales applauds Jones for his tireless dedication to writing this untold story and his “stewardship of this project that honors God, Dr. A.B. Simpson, and of course, the first five courageous C&MA missionaries who selflessly served in the Congo.” Alliance historian and theologian, Dr. Paul King, calls the book, “a candid illuminating analysis.” President of the Evangelical Community of the Alliance in the Congo, Rev. Mabiala Justin-Robert Kenzo says, “It is a fascinating narrative—from an excellent storyteller—of how the history of the Congo Church is intertwined with the history of the Cabinda Church.”
Jones shares, “I am working on the revision and translation of the book to use in Cabinda this coming June when I will teach a history of the Alliance church there.”
Former Nyack College Missionaries in Residence (1977-78), David Jones and his wife, Judy, also a Nyack alumna, served in Brazil with the C&MA for more than three decades in evangelism, discipleship, church planting and leadership training. Dave directs Portuguese World Outreach and leads College of Prayer modules in Brazil, Portugal, and Cabinda, Angola.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>