Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
A vital chapter of Nyack College history has been penned by 1964 Nyack alumnus David P. Jones. So Being Sent…They Went: A History of the CMA Mission in Cabina 1885-1957 is a 259-page account of the first missionary team sent abroad in 1884 by Dr. A.B. Simpson. Led by John Condit, four other "Congo Band" members included Frank Gerrish, Jeans Jensen, William Pearson and William Quayle. All five were in the first graduating class of Dr. Simpson’s Missionary Training Institute established in Manhattan, the precursor of today’s Nyack College.
Nyack/ATS President Michael Scales applauds Jones for his tireless dedication to writing this untold story and his “stewardship of this project that honors God, Dr. A.B. Simpson, and of course, the first five courageous C&MA missionaries who selflessly served in the Congo.” Alliance historian and theologian, Dr. Paul King, calls the book, “a candid illuminating analysis.” President of the Evangelical Community of the Alliance in the Congo, Rev. Mabiala Justin-Robert Kenzo says, “It is a fascinating narrative—from an excellent storyteller—of how the history of the Congo Church is intertwined with the history of the Cabinda Church.”
Jones shares, “I am working on the revision and translation of the book to use in Cabinda this coming June when I will teach a history of the Alliance church there.”
Former Nyack College Missionaries in Residence (1977-78), David Jones and his wife, Judy, also a Nyack alumna, served in Brazil with the C&MA for more than three decades in evangelism, discipleship, church planting and leadership training. Dave directs Portuguese World Outreach and leads College of Prayer modules in Brazil, Portugal, and Cabinda, Angola.
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating Nyack's School of Nursing Graduates
- Browse Blog Archive>>