Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
A vital chapter of Nyack College history has been penned by 1964 Nyack alumnus David P. Jones. So Being Sent…They Went: A History of the CMA Mission in Cabina 1885-1957 is a 259-page account of the first missionary team sent abroad in 1884 by Dr. A.B. Simpson. Led by John Condit, four other "Congo Band" members included Frank Gerrish, Jeans Jensen, William Pearson and William Quayle. All five were in the first graduating class of Dr. Simpson’s Missionary Training Institute established in Manhattan, the precursor of today’s Nyack College.
Nyack/ATS President Michael Scales applauds Jones for his tireless dedication to writing this untold story and his “stewardship of this project that honors God, Dr. A.B. Simpson, and of course, the first five courageous C&MA missionaries who selflessly served in the Congo.” Alliance historian and theologian, Dr. Paul King, calls the book, “a candid illuminating analysis.” President of the Evangelical Community of the Alliance in the Congo, Rev. Mabiala Justin-Robert Kenzo says, “It is a fascinating narrative—from an excellent storyteller—of how the history of the Congo Church is intertwined with the history of the Cabinda Church.”
Jones shares, “I am working on the revision and translation of the book to use in Cabinda this coming June when I will teach a history of the Alliance church there.”
Former Nyack College Missionaries in Residence (1977-78), David Jones and his wife, Judy, also a Nyack alumna, served in Brazil with the C&MA for more than three decades in evangelism, discipleship, church planting and leadership training. Dave directs Portuguese World Outreach and leads College of Prayer modules in Brazil, Portugal, and Cabinda, Angola.
- OCT 24-26: Office of Spiritual Formation Hosts Prayer Summit with Dave Powers
- OCT 26: Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Get Tickets for Nyack's Production of West Side Story!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Browse Blog Archive>>