RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nyack College Named an Honoree for its
$1 Million Scholarship Fund Earmarked for Haitian Students
Displaced by the 2010 Earthquake
Beraca Baptist Church & BCDC
Applauds College’s Response to Natural Disaster
The Rev. Mullery Jean-Pierre, senior pastor and president of Beraca Baptist Church and Beraca Community Development Corporation in Brooklyn, NY presented the Excellence in Education Award to Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary at its annual Haiti Earthquake Memorial Service and Award Ceremony. The event commemorated the victims of the 2010 natural disaster and honored organizations that responded to help Haiti recover and restore the Caribbean nation. The Congressional Record included this recognition in the 114th U.S. Congress proceedings presented by Congressman Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY 8th District).
Six years ago following the earthquake, Nyack/ATS President Michael G. Scales announced an institutional mandate that established a $1 million scholarship fund for Haitian students displaced by the earthquake. Over a 4-5 year period, ten full-tuition undergraduate and 10 full-tuition seminary scholarships were made available. After the completion of the degree programs, the students were expected to be a part of a new generation of leadership who would return and help rebuild the Caribbean nation.
“Nyack College received the Education Excellence Award for their service to Haiti and the Haitian people in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake. Note that it’s not an Excellence in Education Award,” explains Rev. Jean-Pierre. “The difference is, excellence in education is practiced in the classroom, campus, or learning environment; whereas, education excellence is when you take what is learned in the classroom and apply it to life's situation where it's needed the most—regardless of cost. That's what Michael Scales and Nyack College have done. Many Christian colleges believe in integrating faith in learning; that is Excellence in Education but "integrating love and learning" as President Scales puts it—that's education excellence.”
The pastor compared Nyack’s generosity of 20 scholarships to several Ivy League universities and colleges who provided one or two scholarships to Haitian students. He says, “Nyack's scholarships have unearthed 12 diamonds in the rough from under the rubble of the earthquake, and so far two of them graduated with honors. That’s education excellence!”
A total of five students have graduated; seven are still enrolled; and two who completed undergraduate degrees are now enrolled in master’s degree programs. Nearly every student earned a GPA between 3.38 and 3.98. According to Nyack Executive Vice President and Treasurer Dr. David Jennings, as of December 31, 2015, $888,000 in tuition has been awarded. By the end of the 2015-2016 academic year, $960,000 in scholarships will have been awarded. Awards will exceed the initial commitment of $1 million announced in 2010.
*Pictured above (l-r): Michael Scales President of Nyack College; Craig Sider President of NYC Leadership Center (for CEO Mackenzie Pier); Marie Yolaine Toms CEO of Community2Community; U.S. Congressman Hakeem Jeffries; and Michael Fromer, CEO Capital Resources LLC.
- Nyack Students Perform in Annual Music Marathon
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- Browse Blog Archive>>