Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) established the Social Justice Celebration more than ten years ago as a platform for celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream of the “beloved community.” During the celebration we have honored individuals and organizations who serve the community and, in particular the underserved, with distinction.
The recipients of the awards are known to be people who treat every individual with ultimate dignity and respect. The awards are given without regard for race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation or political persuasion.
Over the years, the response in the village of Nyack to the College’s tradition has been so enthusiastic that the event had to be moved to a larger off-site venue to accommodate all who chose to celebrate with us. The growth in the number of attendees has been a clear indication that the friends of Nyack/ATS—clergy, educators, elected officials, and Rockland residents—have come to know the College and the goodwill it extends to the community at large.
For the first time in the history of this celebration, it has come to our attention that there are a few individuals, who intended to use the Social Justice gathering for another reason. Nyack College’s goal is to celebrate Dr. King and our honorees, who like him, are worthy of recognition. Because of the possibility of distraction from the purpose of our event, we have chosen to cancel the 2016 Social Justice Celebration.
At Nyack College, our ultimate desire is to build bridges, not walls. Over the next year, we will reach out, in an appropriate time and setting, to dialogue with those individuals. Our hope is to resume the tradition of paying tribute to those whose life work is to nurture unity and love.
Michael G. Scales, Ed.D.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>