Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) established the Social Justice Celebration more than ten years ago as a platform for celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream of the “beloved community.” During the celebration we have honored individuals and organizations who serve the community and, in particular the underserved, with distinction.
The recipients of the awards are known to be people who treat every individual with ultimate dignity and respect. The awards are given without regard for race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation or political persuasion.
Over the years, the response in the village of Nyack to the College’s tradition has been so enthusiastic that the event had to be moved to a larger off-site venue to accommodate all who chose to celebrate with us. The growth in the number of attendees has been a clear indication that the friends of Nyack/ATS—clergy, educators, elected officials, and Rockland residents—have come to know the College and the goodwill it extends to the community at large.
For the first time in the history of this celebration, it has come to our attention that there are a few individuals, who intended to use the Social Justice gathering for another reason. Nyack College’s goal is to celebrate Dr. King and our honorees, who like him, are worthy of recognition. Because of the possibility of distraction from the purpose of our event, we have chosen to cancel the 2016 Social Justice Celebration.
At Nyack College, our ultimate desire is to build bridges, not walls. Over the next year, we will reach out, in an appropriate time and setting, to dialogue with those individuals. Our hope is to resume the tradition of paying tribute to those whose life work is to nurture unity and love.
Michael G. Scales, Ed.D.
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating Nyack's School of Nursing Graduates
- Browse Blog Archive>>