Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) established the Social Justice Celebration more than ten years ago as a platform for celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream of the “beloved community.” During the celebration we have honored individuals and organizations who serve the community and, in particular the underserved, with distinction.
The recipients of the awards are known to be people who treat every individual with ultimate dignity and respect. The awards are given without regard for race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation or political persuasion.
Over the years, the response in the village of Nyack to the College’s tradition has been so enthusiastic that the event had to be moved to a larger off-site venue to accommodate all who chose to celebrate with us. The growth in the number of attendees has been a clear indication that the friends of Nyack/ATS—clergy, educators, elected officials, and Rockland residents—have come to know the College and the goodwill it extends to the community at large.
For the first time in the history of this celebration, it has come to our attention that there are a few individuals, who intended to use the Social Justice gathering for another reason. Nyack College’s goal is to celebrate Dr. King and our honorees, who like him, are worthy of recognition. Because of the possibility of distraction from the purpose of our event, we have chosen to cancel the 2016 Social Justice Celebration.
At Nyack College, our ultimate desire is to build bridges, not walls. Over the next year, we will reach out, in an appropriate time and setting, to dialogue with those individuals. Our hope is to resume the tradition of paying tribute to those whose life work is to nurture unity and love.
Michael G. Scales, Ed.D.
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Browse Blog Archive>>