Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
Joseph and Mary are at Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) preparing for their return to Bethlehem.
ATS Dean Dr. Ron Walborn shares, "On Saturday, August 29, I had the distinct pleasure of picking up Yousef and Merna at JFK Airport. Their long trip from Palestine had taken them almost three full days. Though they were weary, I could tell their eyes and their spirits were full of faith and great hope. God provided miracles to get them here and God continues to be faithful. It gives me immense pleasure to watch the Holy Spirit working at ATS in the lives of wonderful people like Yousef and Merna."
Their journey actually began two years ago when Yousef (Joseph) Alkhouri’s wife, Merna (Mary), met Scot Dressler (NC ’98/ATS ’01) at a Bethlehem Bible College conference. She shared about her husband’s desire to earn a degree in counseling. When she returned to her home with a Nyack College information brochure in hand, the couple literally prayed over the brochure and asked for God’s guidance on how to pursue the opportunity.
Yousef conceded that it was his plan to study counseling, but it become clear to him that God’s plan was for him to enroll in the Master of Divinity program. “Choosing this program will enhance my understanding of God’s word and learn how to serve Him and His people,” he explains. “God is taking me into a deeper relationship with Him through learning more about Him.” (Read more about them here.)
What ATS distinctives attracted him? “Many things are unique about ATS. The balance between the academic progress, spiritual growth, and the conservative and practical Christian theology—I find in ATS these are the most important elements that help any Christian studying ministry. Professors are always willing to help and to support me through listening to my questions and needs. They also pray for me, particularly because I am an international student. I would say that I feel the presence of God in the classes and upon my professors. I feel at home at ATS. People are kind and willing to help and pray with each other. The power of God that I touch at ATS is different from anywhere else.”
Just completing the first semester, Yousef shares his goals for his post-M.Div. studies: “My plans are to go back to Bethlehem and use everything I learned at ATS and the church in the U.S. to serve my local community and to teach Bible at Bethlehem Bible College. My country needs a new generation of Christian theologians and leaders to serve the local church and the new generation of leaders.”
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Browse Blog Archive>>