Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
Contact: Constance L. Diggs
Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BRILL PUBLISHES SCHOLARLY VOLUME WITH NYACK COLLEGE’S GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ANCIENT JUDAISM AND CHRISTIAN ORIGINS
New York, NY --- Nyack College is proud to announce the release of The Gospels in First-Century Judaea; Proceedings of the Inaugural Conference of Nyack College’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. Published in fall 2015, the scholarly volume is edited by Nyack’s own R. Steven Notley and Jeffrey P. García, and features papers from experts of Second Temple Judaism who offer fresh and innovative interpretations of gospel texts.
Each study examines closely a passage from one of the four canonical gospels in order to shed light from various pertinent subject areas (e.g., linguistics, archaeology, fine art). The studies presented in this volume follow on the heels of nearly 100 years of research into the Jewish backgrounds of the New Testament with one innovative development, namely, reading and interpreting the gospels as accounts which originate in first century Judaea and play a more integral role in the body of ancient Jewish literature.
“This scholarly volume is the literary counterpart to our inaugural conference,” shared Dr. R. Steven Notley, Director of Nyack’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins.” Held in 2013, the event brought together both Christian and Jewish scholars, representing more than ten colleges and universities from around the world.
“We are proud that our graduate program is making such a strong academic imprint on the landscape of biblical scholarship,” shared President Michael Scales. “Having Brill publish the proceedings of our conference is an honor and testament of the strides our program is making by integrating Jewish and Christian scholarship in such a distinctive way.”
For more information about the volume and a link to a clip from the conference, visit our Facebook page or visit our publisher at www.brill.com.
Scholars featured in the volume: Dr. David Emanuel (Nyack College), Dr. Steven Fine (Yeshiva University), Dr. Alexandria Frisch (Ursinus College), Mr. Jeffrey P. Garcia PhD.c. (Nyack College), Dr. Daniel Machiela (McMaster University), Dr. Eric Meyers (Duke University), Dr. R. Steven Notley (Nyack College), Dr. Serge Ruzer (Hebrew University), Dr. Lawrence Schiffman (New York University), Dr. Claudia Setzer (Manhattan College), Dr. Brad H. Young (Oral Roberts University), and Dr. Burt L. Visotsky (Jewish Theological Seminary).
Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars.
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>