Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
Contact: Constance L. Diggs
Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BRILL PUBLISHES SCHOLARLY VOLUME WITH NYACK COLLEGE’S GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ANCIENT JUDAISM AND CHRISTIAN ORIGINS
New York, NY --- Nyack College is proud to announce the release of The Gospels in First-Century Judaea; Proceedings of the Inaugural Conference of Nyack College’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. Published in fall 2015, the scholarly volume is edited by Nyack’s own R. Steven Notley and Jeffrey P. García, and features papers from experts of Second Temple Judaism who offer fresh and innovative interpretations of gospel texts.
Each study examines closely a passage from one of the four canonical gospels in order to shed light from various pertinent subject areas (e.g., linguistics, archaeology, fine art). The studies presented in this volume follow on the heels of nearly 100 years of research into the Jewish backgrounds of the New Testament with one innovative development, namely, reading and interpreting the gospels as accounts which originate in first century Judaea and play a more integral role in the body of ancient Jewish literature.
“This scholarly volume is the literary counterpart to our inaugural conference,” shared Dr. R. Steven Notley, Director of Nyack’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins.” Held in 2013, the event brought together both Christian and Jewish scholars, representing more than ten colleges and universities from around the world.
“We are proud that our graduate program is making such a strong academic imprint on the landscape of biblical scholarship,” shared President Michael Scales. “Having Brill publish the proceedings of our conference is an honor and testament of the strides our program is making by integrating Jewish and Christian scholarship in such a distinctive way.”
For more information about the volume and a link to a clip from the conference, visit our Facebook page or visit our publisher at www.brill.com.
Scholars featured in the volume: Dr. David Emanuel (Nyack College), Dr. Steven Fine (Yeshiva University), Dr. Alexandria Frisch (Ursinus College), Mr. Jeffrey P. Garcia PhD.c. (Nyack College), Dr. Daniel Machiela (McMaster University), Dr. Eric Meyers (Duke University), Dr. R. Steven Notley (Nyack College), Dr. Serge Ruzer (Hebrew University), Dr. Lawrence Schiffman (New York University), Dr. Claudia Setzer (Manhattan College), Dr. Brad H. Young (Oral Roberts University), and Dr. Burt L. Visotsky (Jewish Theological Seminary).
Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars.
- SEPT 28: Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM Launch Party
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Browse Blog Archive>>