Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
Contact: Constance L. Diggs
Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BRILL PUBLISHES SCHOLARLY VOLUME WITH NYACK COLLEGE’S GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ANCIENT JUDAISM AND CHRISTIAN ORIGINS
New York, NY --- Nyack College is proud to announce the release of The Gospels in First-Century Judaea; Proceedings of the Inaugural Conference of Nyack College’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. Published in fall 2015, the scholarly volume is edited by Nyack’s own R. Steven Notley and Jeffrey P. García, and features papers from experts of Second Temple Judaism who offer fresh and innovative interpretations of gospel texts.
Each study examines closely a passage from one of the four canonical gospels in order to shed light from various pertinent subject areas (e.g., linguistics, archaeology, fine art). The studies presented in this volume follow on the heels of nearly 100 years of research into the Jewish backgrounds of the New Testament with one innovative development, namely, reading and interpreting the gospels as accounts which originate in first century Judaea and play a more integral role in the body of ancient Jewish literature.
“This scholarly volume is the literary counterpart to our inaugural conference,” shared Dr. R. Steven Notley, Director of Nyack’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins.” Held in 2013, the event brought together both Christian and Jewish scholars, representing more than ten colleges and universities from around the world.
“We are proud that our graduate program is making such a strong academic imprint on the landscape of biblical scholarship,” shared President Michael Scales. “Having Brill publish the proceedings of our conference is an honor and testament of the strides our program is making by integrating Jewish and Christian scholarship in such a distinctive way.”
For more information about the volume and a link to a clip from the conference, visit our Facebook page or visit our publisher at www.brill.com.
Scholars featured in the volume: Dr. David Emanuel (Nyack College), Dr. Steven Fine (Yeshiva University), Dr. Alexandria Frisch (Ursinus College), Mr. Jeffrey P. Garcia PhD.c. (Nyack College), Dr. Daniel Machiela (McMaster University), Dr. Eric Meyers (Duke University), Dr. R. Steven Notley (Nyack College), Dr. Serge Ruzer (Hebrew University), Dr. Lawrence Schiffman (New York University), Dr. Claudia Setzer (Manhattan College), Dr. Brad H. Young (Oral Roberts University), and Dr. Burt L. Visotsky (Jewish Theological Seminary).
Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars.
- Tonight Won't Be Just Any Night: West Side Story Premieres!
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Isa Agape at Nyack College Rockland
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- Browse Blog Archive>>