Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
Contact: Constance L. Diggs
Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BRILL PUBLISHES SCHOLARLY VOLUME WITH NYACK COLLEGE’S GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ANCIENT JUDAISM AND CHRISTIAN ORIGINS
New York, NY --- Nyack College is proud to announce the release of The Gospels in First-Century Judaea; Proceedings of the Inaugural Conference of Nyack College’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. Published in fall 2015, the scholarly volume is edited by Nyack’s own R. Steven Notley and Jeffrey P. García, and features papers from experts of Second Temple Judaism who offer fresh and innovative interpretations of gospel texts.
Each study examines closely a passage from one of the four canonical gospels in order to shed light from various pertinent subject areas (e.g., linguistics, archaeology, fine art). The studies presented in this volume follow on the heels of nearly 100 years of research into the Jewish backgrounds of the New Testament with one innovative development, namely, reading and interpreting the gospels as accounts which originate in first century Judaea and play a more integral role in the body of ancient Jewish literature.
“This scholarly volume is the literary counterpart to our inaugural conference,” shared Dr. R. Steven Notley, Director of Nyack’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins.” Held in 2013, the event brought together both Christian and Jewish scholars, representing more than ten colleges and universities from around the world.
“We are proud that our graduate program is making such a strong academic imprint on the landscape of biblical scholarship,” shared President Michael Scales. “Having Brill publish the proceedings of our conference is an honor and testament of the strides our program is making by integrating Jewish and Christian scholarship in such a distinctive way.”
For more information about the volume and a link to a clip from the conference, visit our Facebook page or visit our publisher at www.brill.com.
Scholars featured in the volume: Dr. David Emanuel (Nyack College), Dr. Steven Fine (Yeshiva University), Dr. Alexandria Frisch (Ursinus College), Mr. Jeffrey P. Garcia PhD.c. (Nyack College), Dr. Daniel Machiela (McMaster University), Dr. Eric Meyers (Duke University), Dr. R. Steven Notley (Nyack College), Dr. Serge Ruzer (Hebrew University), Dr. Lawrence Schiffman (New York University), Dr. Claudia Setzer (Manhattan College), Dr. Brad H. Young (Oral Roberts University), and Dr. Burt L. Visotsky (Jewish Theological Seminary).
Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars.
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Browse Blog Archive>>