Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
Contact: Constance L. Diggs
Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BRILL PUBLISHES SCHOLARLY VOLUME WITH NYACK COLLEGE’S GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ANCIENT JUDAISM AND CHRISTIAN ORIGINS
New York, NY --- Nyack College is proud to announce the release of The Gospels in First-Century Judaea; Proceedings of the Inaugural Conference of Nyack College’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. Published in fall 2015, the scholarly volume is edited by Nyack’s own R. Steven Notley and Jeffrey P. García, and features papers from experts of Second Temple Judaism who offer fresh and innovative interpretations of gospel texts.
Each study examines closely a passage from one of the four canonical gospels in order to shed light from various pertinent subject areas (e.g., linguistics, archaeology, fine art). The studies presented in this volume follow on the heels of nearly 100 years of research into the Jewish backgrounds of the New Testament with one innovative development, namely, reading and interpreting the gospels as accounts which originate in first century Judaea and play a more integral role in the body of ancient Jewish literature.
“This scholarly volume is the literary counterpart to our inaugural conference,” shared Dr. R. Steven Notley, Director of Nyack’s Graduate Program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins.” Held in 2013, the event brought together both Christian and Jewish scholars, representing more than ten colleges and universities from around the world.
“We are proud that our graduate program is making such a strong academic imprint on the landscape of biblical scholarship,” shared President Michael Scales. “Having Brill publish the proceedings of our conference is an honor and testament of the strides our program is making by integrating Jewish and Christian scholarship in such a distinctive way.”
For more information about the volume and a link to a clip from the conference, visit our Facebook page or visit our publisher at www.brill.com.
Scholars featured in the volume: Dr. David Emanuel (Nyack College), Dr. Steven Fine (Yeshiva University), Dr. Alexandria Frisch (Ursinus College), Mr. Jeffrey P. Garcia PhD.c. (Nyack College), Dr. Daniel Machiela (McMaster University), Dr. Eric Meyers (Duke University), Dr. R. Steven Notley (Nyack College), Dr. Serge Ruzer (Hebrew University), Dr. Lawrence Schiffman (New York University), Dr. Claudia Setzer (Manhattan College), Dr. Brad H. Young (Oral Roberts University), and Dr. Burt L. Visotsky (Jewish Theological Seminary).
Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>