A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
Nyack’s first ever student cyber security team, the Nyack College Paladins, under the advisement of computer science professor Dr. David Ahn, ranked 14th at the recent CyberSEED 2015 Capture the Flag Challenge sponsored by Comcast and University of Connecticut. Pictured above (l-r): Aaron Campbell, Josh Brunvoll, Philip Nevill, Larry Vidaurre, Noah Tatum, Dr. David Ahn.
The Capture the Flag Challenge is an immersive, interactive competition that uses realistic IT infrastructure to simulate the current threat landscape. Designed for many levels of technical skill and experience, the competition put participants in the hackers' shoes to understand their technology and thought processes. The challenge set by Symantec this year was to penetrate a virtual financial network in a series of progressively more difficult penetration exercises.
The result by the Nyack College Paladins is a truly remarkable achievement considering that its competitors were from more established and well known engineering institutions and prestigious computer science programs across the country.
This was the second annual Cybersecurity, Education & Diversity Challenge (CyberSEED) Conference held on the Uconn Campus in Storrs, CT. The focus was on "Emerging trends on Cybersecurity in Cloud, IOT and Mobility". Top security professionals and scholars along with public and private sector leaders gathered to discuss emerging cybersecurity trends and formulate best strategies for tackling current and future threats.
Keynote addresses were presented by Samuel Schwartz, Chief Business Development Officer at Comcast; Rob Kanke, Senior Fellow for Cyber Policy at Council on Foreign Relations; and Art House, Chairman of the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA).
Congratulations to the Paladins!
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>