A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
Nyack’s first ever student cyber security team, the Nyack College Paladins, under the advisement of computer science professor Dr. David Ahn, ranked 14th at the recent CyberSEED 2015 Capture the Flag Challenge sponsored by Comcast and University of Connecticut. Pictured above (l-r): Aaron Campbell, Josh Brunvoll, Philip Nevill, Larry Vidaurre, Noah Tatum, Dr. David Ahn.
The Capture the Flag Challenge is an immersive, interactive competition that uses realistic IT infrastructure to simulate the current threat landscape. Designed for many levels of technical skill and experience, the competition put participants in the hackers' shoes to understand their technology and thought processes. The challenge set by Symantec this year was to penetrate a virtual financial network in a series of progressively more difficult penetration exercises.
The result by the Nyack College Paladins is a truly remarkable achievement considering that its competitors were from more established and well known engineering institutions and prestigious computer science programs across the country.
This was the second annual Cybersecurity, Education & Diversity Challenge (CyberSEED) Conference held on the Uconn Campus in Storrs, CT. The focus was on "Emerging trends on Cybersecurity in Cloud, IOT and Mobility". Top security professionals and scholars along with public and private sector leaders gathered to discuss emerging cybersecurity trends and formulate best strategies for tackling current and future threats.
Keynote addresses were presented by Samuel Schwartz, Chief Business Development Officer at Comcast; Rob Kanke, Senior Fellow for Cyber Policy at Council on Foreign Relations; and Art House, Chairman of the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA).
Congratulations to the Paladins!
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Browse Blog Archive>>