A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
Nyack’s first ever student cyber security team, the Nyack College Paladins, under the advisement of computer science professor Dr. David Ahn, ranked 14th at the recent CyberSEED 2015 Capture the Flag Challenge sponsored by Comcast and University of Connecticut. Pictured above (l-r): Aaron Campbell, Josh Brunvoll, Philip Nevill, Larry Vidaurre, Noah Tatum, Dr. David Ahn.
The Capture the Flag Challenge is an immersive, interactive competition that uses realistic IT infrastructure to simulate the current threat landscape. Designed for many levels of technical skill and experience, the competition put participants in the hackers' shoes to understand their technology and thought processes. The challenge set by Symantec this year was to penetrate a virtual financial network in a series of progressively more difficult penetration exercises.
The result by the Nyack College Paladins is a truly remarkable achievement considering that its competitors were from more established and well known engineering institutions and prestigious computer science programs across the country.
This was the second annual Cybersecurity, Education & Diversity Challenge (CyberSEED) Conference held on the Uconn Campus in Storrs, CT. The focus was on "Emerging trends on Cybersecurity in Cloud, IOT and Mobility". Top security professionals and scholars along with public and private sector leaders gathered to discuss emerging cybersecurity trends and formulate best strategies for tackling current and future threats.
Keynote addresses were presented by Samuel Schwartz, Chief Business Development Officer at Comcast; Rob Kanke, Senior Fellow for Cyber Policy at Council on Foreign Relations; and Art House, Chairman of the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA).
Congratulations to the Paladins!
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>