A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
Nyack’s first ever student cyber security team, the Nyack College Paladins, under the advisement of computer science professor Dr. David Ahn, ranked 14th at the recent CyberSEED 2015 Capture the Flag Challenge sponsored by Comcast and University of Connecticut. Pictured above (l-r): Aaron Campbell, Josh Brunvoll, Philip Nevill, Larry Vidaurre, Noah Tatum, Dr. David Ahn.
The Capture the Flag Challenge is an immersive, interactive competition that uses realistic IT infrastructure to simulate the current threat landscape. Designed for many levels of technical skill and experience, the competition put participants in the hackers' shoes to understand their technology and thought processes. The challenge set by Symantec this year was to penetrate a virtual financial network in a series of progressively more difficult penetration exercises.
The result by the Nyack College Paladins is a truly remarkable achievement considering that its competitors were from more established and well known engineering institutions and prestigious computer science programs across the country.
This was the second annual Cybersecurity, Education & Diversity Challenge (CyberSEED) Conference held on the Uconn Campus in Storrs, CT. The focus was on "Emerging trends on Cybersecurity in Cloud, IOT and Mobility". Top security professionals and scholars along with public and private sector leaders gathered to discuss emerging cybersecurity trends and formulate best strategies for tackling current and future threats.
Keynote addresses were presented by Samuel Schwartz, Chief Business Development Officer at Comcast; Rob Kanke, Senior Fellow for Cyber Policy at Council on Foreign Relations; and Art House, Chairman of the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA).
Congratulations to the Paladins!
- March 29: The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Browse Blog Archive>>