A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
Nyack College's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will cohost the Seventh Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium with the Center for Transformative Work (CTW) on Wednesday, November 4 at the Nyack College New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Lower Manhattan (18th floor, Room 2241) and on Thursday, November 5 Nyack’s Rockland County campus, 1 South Blvd. in Nyack.
This year’s theme is In Search of the Meaning of Work: Contributions from the Academic Disciplines.
Kurt Ver Beek (pictured above) co-founder of the Association for a More Just Society (AJS), and Charles Eapen, president of the C12 Group are this year’s keynote speakers. Both will speak at the NYC campus on November 4 at 6:00 p.m. On the Rockland County campus, Mr. Eapen will present at 9:30 a.m. in Bowman Gymnasium; Dr. Ver Beek will present at 2:45 p.m. in Pardington Hall.
Also the director of Calvin College’s Semester in Honduras program, Kurt Ver Beek has been on the frontlines of the fight for justice for more than 25 years. For that reason AJS has been recognized as a pioneering agency. AJS faithfully works in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Tegucigalpa and in the last eight years has witnessed this neighborhood’s crime rate decrease by over 75%. In addition to fighting against soaring crime in Honduran neighborhoods, AJS is working towards peace and public security reforms on a national level. Recently, these efforts have included the signing of an agreement between AJS and the president of Honduras that makes AJS an official monitor of the president’s anti-corruption plan.
Charles Eapen is a 2010 Alliance Theological Seminary alumnus, who serves as the C12 Group Northern New Jersey Area Chair, with more than two decades of experience that integrates his faith and his profession. He has also served as Executive Director for International Discipleship Ministries Inc., a 501(c)(3) evangelism and discipleship-training ministry working with churches and para-church organization domestically and abroad. In this role, Mr. Eapen held the roles of instructor, fundraiser and general manager.
More than 30 breakout groups will feature presentations by Nyack faculty, some paired with students. A broad range of topics related to the theme are scheduled. Among them are "From the Hand of God to Man: The Work in Art," "Working For Salvation: An Evaluation of Tentmaking and TESOL," "The Dignity of Manual Labor," "Keeping Work From Becoming an Idol: The Role of Grit in the Workplace," and "Educating in an Urban Setting: Working From the Heart."
Dr. Kevin Pinkham is Interim Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement, Dr. Orlando Rivera is Director of the Center for Transformative Work. Click here to learn more about CSGE and here for information on CTW.
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Browse Blog Archive>>