A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
Nyack College's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will cohost the Seventh Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium with the Center for Transformative Work (CTW) on Wednesday, November 4 at the Nyack College New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Lower Manhattan (18th floor, Room 2241) and on Thursday, November 5 Nyack’s Rockland County campus, 1 South Blvd. in Nyack.
This year’s theme is In Search of the Meaning of Work: Contributions from the Academic Disciplines.
Kurt Ver Beek (pictured above) co-founder of the Association for a More Just Society (AJS), and Charles Eapen, president of the C12 Group are this year’s keynote speakers. Both will speak at the NYC campus on November 4 at 6:00 p.m. On the Rockland County campus, Mr. Eapen will present at 9:30 a.m. in Bowman Gymnasium; Dr. Ver Beek will present at 2:45 p.m. in Pardington Hall.
Also the director of Calvin College’s Semester in Honduras program, Kurt Ver Beek has been on the frontlines of the fight for justice for more than 25 years. For that reason AJS has been recognized as a pioneering agency. AJS faithfully works in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Tegucigalpa and in the last eight years has witnessed this neighborhood’s crime rate decrease by over 75%. In addition to fighting against soaring crime in Honduran neighborhoods, AJS is working towards peace and public security reforms on a national level. Recently, these efforts have included the signing of an agreement between AJS and the president of Honduras that makes AJS an official monitor of the president’s anti-corruption plan.
Charles Eapen is a 2010 Alliance Theological Seminary alumnus, who serves as the C12 Group Northern New Jersey Area Chair, with more than two decades of experience that integrates his faith and his profession. He has also served as Executive Director for International Discipleship Ministries Inc., a 501(c)(3) evangelism and discipleship-training ministry working with churches and para-church organization domestically and abroad. In this role, Mr. Eapen held the roles of instructor, fundraiser and general manager.
More than 30 breakout groups will feature presentations by Nyack faculty, some paired with students. A broad range of topics related to the theme are scheduled. Among them are "From the Hand of God to Man: The Work in Art," "Working For Salvation: An Evaluation of Tentmaking and TESOL," "The Dignity of Manual Labor," "Keeping Work From Becoming an Idol: The Role of Grit in the Workplace," and "Educating in an Urban Setting: Working From the Heart."
Dr. Kevin Pinkham is Interim Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement, Dr. Orlando Rivera is Director of the Center for Transformative Work. Click here to learn more about CSGE and here for information on CTW.
- Tickets On Sale for United Praise Gospel Concert August 11 at Barclays Center
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Browse Blog Archive>>