Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
On Sunday, September 20, 2015, an initiation ceremony was held for the sixth cohort of Woman, the rite of passage program at Nyack College, available to female students in their senior year of studies. Sixteen women majoring in a broad spectrum of disciplines came together to begin a year-long journey of transformation. The excitement was palpable.
The program was developed by Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, and is based on her soon to be released work, Book of Womanhood, published by Cascade Books. She is joined again by veteran program leaders, Dean of Students (Rockland Campus) Mrs. Wanda Velez and Woman alumna, Ms. Christina Wolfe.
The women were introduced by their mentors, who are all Nyack employees in various campus divisions and departments including Student Services, Spiritual Formation, Biblical and Theological Studies, and Education. Alumni of the program returned for the occasion to assist with serving refreshments.
Each member of the new Woman cohort received a binder with a draft copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book. They were also given a collectible teacup as a memento of the cottage industry of hand painting china or porcelain, an economic endeavor historically practiced by women.
To learn more about Book of Womanhood, follow Amy on twitter @amyfdavisa or like her Facebook page.
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- March 29: The Amasi Trio in Concert
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- Browse Blog Archive>>