Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
On Sunday, September 20, 2015, an initiation ceremony was held for the sixth cohort of Woman, the rite of passage program at Nyack College, available to female students in their senior year of studies. Sixteen women majoring in a broad spectrum of disciplines came together to begin a year-long journey of transformation. The excitement was palpable.
The program was developed by Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, and is based on her soon to be released work, Book of Womanhood, published by Cascade Books. She is joined again by veteran program leaders, Dean of Students (Rockland Campus) Mrs. Wanda Velez and Woman alumna, Ms. Christina Wolfe.
The women were introduced by their mentors, who are all Nyack employees in various campus divisions and departments including Student Services, Spiritual Formation, Biblical and Theological Studies, and Education. Alumni of the program returned for the occasion to assist with serving refreshments.
Each member of the new Woman cohort received a binder with a draft copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book. They were also given a collectible teacup as a memento of the cottage industry of hand painting china or porcelain, an economic endeavor historically practiced by women.
To learn more about Book of Womanhood, follow Amy on twitter @amyfdavisa or like her Facebook page.
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>