Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
On Sunday, September 20, 2015, an initiation ceremony was held for the sixth cohort of Woman, the rite of passage program at Nyack College, available to female students in their senior year of studies. Sixteen women majoring in a broad spectrum of disciplines came together to begin a year-long journey of transformation. The excitement was palpable.
The program was developed by Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, and is based on her soon to be released work, Book of Womanhood, published by Cascade Books. She is joined again by veteran program leaders, Dean of Students (Rockland Campus) Mrs. Wanda Velez and Woman alumna, Ms. Christina Wolfe.
The women were introduced by their mentors, who are all Nyack employees in various campus divisions and departments including Student Services, Spiritual Formation, Biblical and Theological Studies, and Education. Alumni of the program returned for the occasion to assist with serving refreshments.
Each member of the new Woman cohort received a binder with a draft copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book. They were also given a collectible teacup as a memento of the cottage industry of hand painting china or porcelain, an economic endeavor historically practiced by women.
To learn more about Book of Womanhood, follow Amy on twitter @amyfdavisa or like her Facebook page.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Remembering Dr. Rexford Boda, President Emeritus (1933-2017)
- Dr. Marie White Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- Summertime Prayer
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Browse Blog Archive>>