Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
On Sunday, September 20, 2015, an initiation ceremony was held for the sixth cohort of Woman, the rite of passage program at Nyack College, available to female students in their senior year of studies. Sixteen women majoring in a broad spectrum of disciplines came together to begin a year-long journey of transformation. The excitement was palpable.
The program was developed by Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, and is based on her soon to be released work, Book of Womanhood, published by Cascade Books. She is joined again by veteran program leaders, Dean of Students (Rockland Campus) Mrs. Wanda Velez and Woman alumna, Ms. Christina Wolfe.
The women were introduced by their mentors, who are all Nyack employees in various campus divisions and departments including Student Services, Spiritual Formation, Biblical and Theological Studies, and Education. Alumni of the program returned for the occasion to assist with serving refreshments.
Each member of the new Woman cohort received a binder with a draft copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book. They were also given a collectible teacup as a memento of the cottage industry of hand painting china or porcelain, an economic endeavor historically practiced by women.
To learn more about Book of Womanhood, follow Amy on twitter @amyfdavisa or like her Facebook page.
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Browse Blog Archive>>