Dr. Mark Nanos Welcomed to Nyack NYC for AJCO Colloquia Series
The Nyack College graduate program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) will present “Reading the New Testament as Second Temple Jewish Literature,” the AJCO Colloquia Series at the Nyack NYC campus located at 2 Washington Street in Room 2241 on Thursday, September 24 beginning at 10:00 a.m.
Dr. R. Steven Notley, director of AJCO says, "This gathering will engage the audience with how we should read the New Testament within the world of Jewish thought and faith in the first century."
ABOUT THE GUEST PRESENTERS
Mark Nanos, Ph.D. University of St. Andrews, Scotland Soebbing Distinguished Scholar-in-Residence and Soebbing Visiting Scholar, Rockhurst University, Kansas City, Missouri
Dr. Mark Nanos is a lecturer at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
Among his upcoming projects are "Out-Howling the Cynics: Reconceptualizing the Concerns of Paul's Audience from his Polemics in Philippians 3," in The People Beside Paul: The Philippian Assembly and History from Below. Edited by Joseph A. Marchal (Early Christianity and Its Literature; Atlanta: SBL Press, 2015); Is Galatians Really About "Freedom from the Law (i.e., Torah)," or "Freedom from Judaism"? Galatians: New Testament Guides (New Series). General Editor: Tat-Siong Benny Liew (Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2015); Paul's Judaism: How to Read the Apostle's Letters From A Jewish Perspective (Cascade Books, 2016). He is also the author of numerous professional papers, book reviews, and a member of several professional societies including the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL), the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas (SNTS), Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters (JSPL, editorial board), The Paul Page (editorial board) and the Council for Jewish-Christian Relations of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands.
Lawrence H. Schiffman, Ph.D., Near Eastern and Judaic Studies; MA and BA, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies, Brandeis University; Professor of Hebrew and Judaic Studies; Judge Abraham Lieberman; Professor of Hebrew & Judaic Studies; Director of the Global Network for Advanced Research in Jewish Studies
Dr. Schiffman has served as the Chair of the Skirball Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies at New York University and Ethel and Irvin A. Edelman Professor of Hebrew and Judaic Studies. Between 2011 and 2014, he served as Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Professor of Judaic Studies at Yeshiva University. He is a specialist in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Judaism in Late Antiquity, the history of Jewish law, and Talmudic literature.
Dr. Schiffman was featured in the PBS Nova series documentary, “Secrets of the Dead Sea Scrolls,” four BBC documentaries on the scrolls, a Discovery special, the series “Mysteries of the Bible” (A&E) and “Kingdom of David” (PBS) and other documentaries.
Jeffrey P. García, Ph.D. candidate in Hebrew and Judaic Studies, New York University, BA, Biblical and Theological Studies, Nyack College
Prof. Garcia is a lecturer in Bible at Nyack College in New York City. He is a conference presenter and published scholar. With R. Steven Notley, director of Nyack’s Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins graduate program, he collaborated on two published articles, “Hebrew-Only Exegesis: A Philological Approach to Jesus’ Use of the Hebrew Bible” (The Language Environment of First Century Judaea: Jerusalem Studies in the Synoptic Gospels vol. 2 [JCP 26; ed. R. Buth and R. S. Notley; Leiden: Brill, 2014], 349-375) and “Queen Helena’s Jerusalem Palace—in a Parking Lot?” (BAR 40/3 : 28-39, 62-65). Garcia has published articles on the gospels, “See My Hands and My Feet: Fresh Light on a Johannine Midrash” (John, Jesus, and History, vol. 2: Aspects of Historicity in the Fourth Gospel [ECIL 2; Atlanta: SBL, 2009]), and archaeology, “The Sepulchre of the Kings (Jerusalem)” (Lexham Bible Dictionary [Logos Bible software].
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>