Math Prof Conducts Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
Dr. JungHang Lee, Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Nyack College, recently conducted research at the Seoul International Christian Academy (SICA), in Korea. He worked with Principal Dr. KyongWon Lee and Ms. Lauren Kim, a mathematics teacher, to develop teacher education programs. He is also working with SICA to develop pre-service teacher internship program.
“The main topic was math manipulatives and knowledge transfer in mathematics classrooms. While there are studies on the pros and cons of using math manipulatives, there are few researches on the effects of using manipulatives on math knowledge transfer. This research examines whether concrete and realistic math manipulatives facilitate knowledge transfer, the ability to apply learned knowledge to new or different situations more than abstract symbols do,” explains, the College of Arts and Sciences 2013 Emerging Scholar of the Year.
Dr. Lee interviewed North Korean mathematics teachers for his research. He was also interviewed by the Institute of Science Education for the Gifted and Talented in Yonsei University, a government funded institution that focuses on mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and earth science. The Institute’s gifted students are selected from elementary and middle schools and are taught by Yonsei University professors.
“I interviewed three North Korean mathematics teachers who taught in a secondary school in North Korea. Each session lasted approximately three hours, which I am converting into scripts. In addition to discussing their social, educational and family backgrounds, I also explored their pedagogical perspectives. During my interview, I was asked questions about the mathematics education in U.S. schools, as well as to describe what it means to be “good” in mathematics."
In addition to his research, Dr. Lee serves as an advisor for the Korean Student Association at Nyack College. He earned his Ph.D. in Mathematics from Columbia University, M.A. from Columbia University, M.S.in Applied Mathematics from Rutgers University, and B.S. double major in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics from University of Technology, Sydney.
- March 31: Finalists Compete in the Entrepreneurial Business Venture for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Dr. Fayne Frey, Keynote Speaker at Nyack's Student Research Conference
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Browse Blog Archive>>