The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
The Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary community received the tragic news yesterday of the sudden and unexpected death of Dr. James Chin on Tuesday evening, August 25.
Hired in 1997 as an adjunct professor of psychology and theology, he became a full-time assistant professor of counseling in 1999. In 2002, he was appointed assistant director of the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) at Nyack’s Manhattan campus and in 2005 became an AGSC associate professor.
With more than a quarter century of clinical and teaching experience, in 2012 Dr. Chin was selected as the director of Nyack’s Doctor of Psychology program currently in proposal status and in review by the New York State Education Department.
Nyack College Provost Dr. David Turk commented, “Jim Chin was a tireless champion of rigorous academic scholarship. He believed strongly that Christian educators and students should pursue such so that a powerful Christian witness would be present in higher education. Dr. Chin was also a humble practitioner who modeled a servant's heart by using his intellectual gifts and deep faith in Christ to counsel many in need to emotional and spiritual wholeness. We will greatly miss his commitment to the vision of Nyack College and his willingness to help all of us build a great Christian university in New York metro area.”
With a Ph.D., the Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Research and Evaluation in Psychology, from Hofstra University, he also held a Master of Arts in neuropsychology from Queens College. He completed undergraduate studies at SUNY Stony Brook.
President Michael G. Scales shares, “Jim Chin was exceptionally suited to be named the director of Alliance Graduate School of Counseling’s Doctor of Psychology program. Like the late founding director of AGSC, Dr. Craig Ellison, he was committed to integrating faith and learning. Not widely known--and demonstrating his dedication to keeping this integration at the core of AGSC--Dr. Chin was enrolled to begin studies for his Master of Divinity at Alliance Theological Seminary this fall.”
Arrangements for celebrating Dr. Chin’s life will take place on Friday evening, August 28 with a viewing 5:00 - 6:30 PM and the service: 6:30 - 7:30 PM at Central Funeral Home, 162-14 Sanford Ave., Queens (Flushing) NY 11358.
Please pray for the comfort of Dr. Chin’s wife, Jenny and their sons, Jonathan and Jeffrey.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>