The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
The Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary community received the tragic news yesterday of the sudden and unexpected death of Dr. James Chin on Tuesday evening, August 25.
Hired in 1997 as an adjunct professor of psychology and theology, he became a full-time assistant professor of counseling in 1999. In 2002, he was appointed assistant director of the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) at Nyack’s Manhattan campus and in 2005 became an AGSC associate professor.
With more than a quarter century of clinical and teaching experience, in 2012 Dr. Chin was selected as the director of Nyack’s Doctor of Psychology program currently in proposal status and in review by the New York State Education Department.
Nyack College Provost Dr. David Turk commented, “Jim Chin was a tireless champion of rigorous academic scholarship. He believed strongly that Christian educators and students should pursue such so that a powerful Christian witness would be present in higher education. Dr. Chin was also a humble practitioner who modeled a servant's heart by using his intellectual gifts and deep faith in Christ to counsel many in need to emotional and spiritual wholeness. We will greatly miss his commitment to the vision of Nyack College and his willingness to help all of us build a great Christian university in New York metro area.”
With a Ph.D., the Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Research and Evaluation in Psychology, from Hofstra University, he also held a Master of Arts in neuropsychology from Queens College. He completed undergraduate studies at SUNY Stony Brook.
President Michael G. Scales shares, “Jim Chin was exceptionally suited to be named the director of Alliance Graduate School of Counseling’s Doctor of Psychology program. Like the late founding director of AGSC, Dr. Craig Ellison, he was committed to integrating faith and learning. Not widely known--and demonstrating his dedication to keeping this integration at the core of AGSC--Dr. Chin was enrolled to begin studies for his Master of Divinity at Alliance Theological Seminary this fall.”
Arrangements for celebrating Dr. Chin’s life will take place on Friday evening, August 28 with a viewing 5:00 - 6:30 PM and the service: 6:30 - 7:30 PM at Central Funeral Home, 162-14 Sanford Ave., Queens (Flushing) NY 11358.
Please pray for the comfort of Dr. Chin’s wife, Jenny and their sons, Jonathan and Jeffrey.
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Isa Agape at Nyack College Rockland
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- Browse Blog Archive>>