The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
The Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary community received the tragic news yesterday of the sudden and unexpected death of Dr. James Chin on Tuesday evening, August 25.
Hired in 1997 as an adjunct professor of psychology and theology, he became a full-time assistant professor of counseling in 1999. In 2002, he was appointed assistant director of the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) at Nyack’s Manhattan campus and in 2005 became an AGSC associate professor.
With more than a quarter century of clinical and teaching experience, in 2012 Dr. Chin was selected as the director of Nyack’s Doctor of Psychology program currently in proposal status and in review by the New York State Education Department.
Nyack College Provost Dr. David Turk commented, “Jim Chin was a tireless champion of rigorous academic scholarship. He believed strongly that Christian educators and students should pursue such so that a powerful Christian witness would be present in higher education. Dr. Chin was also a humble practitioner who modeled a servant's heart by using his intellectual gifts and deep faith in Christ to counsel many in need to emotional and spiritual wholeness. We will greatly miss his commitment to the vision of Nyack College and his willingness to help all of us build a great Christian university in New York metro area.”
With a Ph.D., the Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Research and Evaluation in Psychology, from Hofstra University, he also held a Master of Arts in neuropsychology from Queens College. He completed undergraduate studies at SUNY Stony Brook.
President Michael G. Scales shares, “Jim Chin was exceptionally suited to be named the director of Alliance Graduate School of Counseling’s Doctor of Psychology program. Like the late founding director of AGSC, Dr. Craig Ellison, he was committed to integrating faith and learning. Not widely known--and demonstrating his dedication to keeping this integration at the core of AGSC--Dr. Chin was enrolled to begin studies for his Master of Divinity at Alliance Theological Seminary this fall.”
Arrangements for celebrating Dr. Chin’s life will take place on Friday evening, August 28 with a viewing 5:00 - 6:30 PM and the service: 6:30 - 7:30 PM at Central Funeral Home, 162-14 Sanford Ave., Queens (Flushing) NY 11358.
Please pray for the comfort of Dr. Chin’s wife, Jenny and their sons, Jonathan and Jeffrey.
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Browse Blog Archive>>