The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
The Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary community received the tragic news yesterday of the sudden and unexpected death of Dr. James Chin on Tuesday evening, August 25.
Hired in 1997 as an adjunct professor of psychology and theology, he became a full-time assistant professor of counseling in 1999. In 2002, he was appointed assistant director of the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) at Nyack’s Manhattan campus and in 2005 became an AGSC associate professor.
With more than a quarter century of clinical and teaching experience, in 2012 Dr. Chin was selected as the director of Nyack’s Doctor of Psychology program currently in proposal status and in review by the New York State Education Department.
Nyack College Provost Dr. David Turk commented, “Jim Chin was a tireless champion of rigorous academic scholarship. He believed strongly that Christian educators and students should pursue such so that a powerful Christian witness would be present in higher education. Dr. Chin was also a humble practitioner who modeled a servant's heart by using his intellectual gifts and deep faith in Christ to counsel many in need to emotional and spiritual wholeness. We will greatly miss his commitment to the vision of Nyack College and his willingness to help all of us build a great Christian university in New York metro area.”
With a Ph.D., the Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Research and Evaluation in Psychology, from Hofstra University, he also held a Master of Arts in neuropsychology from Queens College. He completed undergraduate studies at SUNY Stony Brook.
President Michael G. Scales shares, “Jim Chin was exceptionally suited to be named the director of Alliance Graduate School of Counseling’s Doctor of Psychology program. Like the late founding director of AGSC, Dr. Craig Ellison, he was committed to integrating faith and learning. Not widely known--and demonstrating his dedication to keeping this integration at the core of AGSC--Dr. Chin was enrolled to begin studies for his Master of Divinity at Alliance Theological Seminary this fall.”
Arrangements for celebrating Dr. Chin’s life will take place on Friday evening, August 28 with a viewing 5:00 - 6:30 PM and the service: 6:30 - 7:30 PM at Central Funeral Home, 162-14 Sanford Ave., Queens (Flushing) NY 11358.
Please pray for the comfort of Dr. Chin’s wife, Jenny and their sons, Jonathan and Jeffrey.
- TONIGHT IN ROCKLAND: Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM Launch Party
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- Browse Blog Archive>>