School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
Music education major Emmaline Kempf couldn’t wait until the start of the fall 2015 semester when Nyack College music faculty and students on both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses transition from using textbooks to receiving music materials loaded on their new iPad Air2 64GBs.
Close to finishing the rigorous 143-credit program at Nyack, often taking as many as 19 credits per semester, the Rockland campus senior wanted to be ahead of the game. Emmaline purchased her iPad this summer to familiarize herself with the music education apps. She gives the thumbs up to the College’s decision to introduce the initiative, iSucceed, which keeps students tech-savvy and skilled to be competitive in the marketplace. “So many in the music industry and the marketplace are using the iPad,” she says .
In her final semester of studies concentrating in voice, Emmaline will soon begin her first student teacher placement working with K-5th grade students at Liberty Elementary School in Valley Cottage, NY. In November, her second placement will take her abroad for six and a half weeks to the International Christian School in Hong Kong. She credits School of Music professor and internationally known performing artist Dr. Tammy Lum with landing this second placement. During their travels for Chamberfest Asia, a cultural exchange performance tour and global service-learning trip offered to advanced level music students, Dr. Lum encouraged Emmaline to pursue
Prior to the September launch of iSucceed, music faculty attended four days of training, including a two-day “boot camp” in May. Before 2015-2016 classes begin, faculty will take a refresher course and attend a seminar led by an Apple Professional Development Specialist.
Jennifer Scott, School of Music administrative assistant and director of the Handbell Choir and Women's Chorale, says “We've begun the task of turning our physical music into PDFs so that they can be uploaded to the student's iPads where they'll be able to use the app, ForScore, to mark up their music. What's really nice is we're learning right along with the students. We’re also thrilled to be the first Nyack division to go paperless!”
To learn more about iSucceed at Nyack College, click here.
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Browse Blog Archive>>