School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
Music education major Emmaline Kempf couldn’t wait until the start of the fall 2015 semester when Nyack College music faculty and students on both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses transition from using textbooks to receiving music materials loaded on their new iPad Air2 64GBs.
Close to finishing the rigorous 143-credit program at Nyack, often taking as many as 19 credits per semester, the Rockland campus senior wanted to be ahead of the game. Emmaline purchased her iPad this summer to familiarize herself with the music education apps. She gives the thumbs up to the College’s decision to introduce the initiative, iSucceed, which keeps students tech-savvy and skilled to be competitive in the marketplace. “So many in the music industry and the marketplace are using the iPad,” she says .
In her final semester of studies concentrating in voice, Emmaline will soon begin her first student teacher placement working with K-5th grade students at Liberty Elementary School in Valley Cottage, NY. In November, her second placement will take her abroad for six and a half weeks to the International Christian School in Hong Kong. She credits School of Music professor and internationally known performing artist Dr. Tammy Lum with landing this second placement. During their travels for Chamberfest Asia, a cultural exchange performance tour and global service-learning trip offered to advanced level music students, Dr. Lum encouraged Emmaline to pursue
Prior to the September launch of iSucceed, music faculty attended four days of training, including a two-day “boot camp” in May. Before 2015-2016 classes begin, faculty will take a refresher course and attend a seminar led by an Apple Professional Development Specialist.
Jennifer Scott, School of Music administrative assistant and director of the Handbell Choir and Women's Chorale, says “We've begun the task of turning our physical music into PDFs so that they can be uploaded to the student's iPads where they'll be able to use the app, ForScore, to mark up their music. What's really nice is we're learning right along with the students. We’re also thrilled to be the first Nyack division to go paperless!”
To learn more about iSucceed at Nyack College, click here.
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>