School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
Music education major Emmaline Kempf couldn’t wait until the start of the fall 2015 semester when Nyack College music faculty and students on both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses transition from using textbooks to receiving music materials loaded on their new iPad Air2 64GBs.
Close to finishing the rigorous 143-credit program at Nyack, often taking as many as 19 credits per semester, the Rockland campus senior wanted to be ahead of the game. Emmaline purchased her iPad this summer to familiarize herself with the music education apps. She gives the thumbs up to the College’s decision to introduce the initiative, iSucceed, which keeps students tech-savvy and skilled to be competitive in the marketplace. “So many in the music industry and the marketplace are using the iPad,” she says .
In her final semester of studies concentrating in voice, Emmaline will soon begin her first student teacher placement working with K-5th grade students at Liberty Elementary School in Valley Cottage, NY. In November, her second placement will take her abroad for six and a half weeks to the International Christian School in Hong Kong. She credits School of Music professor and internationally known performing artist Dr. Tammy Lum with landing this second placement. During their travels for Chamberfest Asia, a cultural exchange performance tour and global service-learning trip offered to advanced level music students, Dr. Lum encouraged Emmaline to pursue
Prior to the September launch of iSucceed, music faculty attended four days of training, including a two-day “boot camp” in May. Before 2015-2016 classes begin, faculty will take a refresher course and attend a seminar led by an Apple Professional Development Specialist.
Jennifer Scott, School of Music administrative assistant and director of the Handbell Choir and Women's Chorale, says “We've begun the task of turning our physical music into PDFs so that they can be uploaded to the student's iPads where they'll be able to use the app, ForScore, to mark up their music. What's really nice is we're learning right along with the students. We’re also thrilled to be the first Nyack division to go paperless!”
To learn more about iSucceed at Nyack College, click here.
- OCT 24-26: Office of Spiritual Formation Hosts Prayer Summit with Dave Powers
- OCT 26: Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Get Tickets for Nyack's Production of West Side Story!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Browse Blog Archive>>