School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
Music education major Emmaline Kempf couldn’t wait until the start of the fall 2015 semester when Nyack College music faculty and students on both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses transition from using textbooks to receiving music materials loaded on their new iPad Air2 64GBs.
Close to finishing the rigorous 143-credit program at Nyack, often taking as many as 19 credits per semester, the Rockland campus senior wanted to be ahead of the game. Emmaline purchased her iPad this summer to familiarize herself with the music education apps. She gives the thumbs up to the College’s decision to introduce the initiative, iSucceed, which keeps students tech-savvy and skilled to be competitive in the marketplace. “So many in the music industry and the marketplace are using the iPad,” she says .
In her final semester of studies concentrating in voice, Emmaline will soon begin her first student teacher placement working with K-5th grade students at Liberty Elementary School in Valley Cottage, NY. In November, her second placement will take her abroad for six and a half weeks to the International Christian School in Hong Kong. She credits School of Music professor and internationally known performing artist Dr. Tammy Lum with landing this second placement. During their travels for Chamberfest Asia, a cultural exchange performance tour and global service-learning trip offered to advanced level music students, Dr. Lum encouraged Emmaline to pursue
Prior to the September launch of iSucceed, music faculty attended four days of training, including a two-day “boot camp” in May. Before 2015-2016 classes begin, faculty will take a refresher course and attend a seminar led by an Apple Professional Development Specialist.
Jennifer Scott, School of Music administrative assistant and director of the Handbell Choir and Women's Chorale, says “We've begun the task of turning our physical music into PDFs so that they can be uploaded to the student's iPads where they'll be able to use the app, ForScore, to mark up their music. What's really nice is we're learning right along with the students. We’re also thrilled to be the first Nyack division to go paperless!”
To learn more about iSucceed at Nyack College, click here.
- Tickets On Sale for United Praise Gospel Concert August 11 at Barclays Center
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Browse Blog Archive>>