School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
Music education major Emmaline Kempf couldn’t wait until the start of the fall 2015 semester when Nyack College music faculty and students on both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses transition from using textbooks to receiving music materials loaded on their new iPad Air2 64GBs.
Close to finishing the rigorous 143-credit program at Nyack, often taking as many as 19 credits per semester, the Rockland campus senior wanted to be ahead of the game. Emmaline purchased her iPad this summer to familiarize herself with the music education apps. She gives the thumbs up to the College’s decision to introduce the initiative, iSucceed, which keeps students tech-savvy and skilled to be competitive in the marketplace. “So many in the music industry and the marketplace are using the iPad,” she says .
In her final semester of studies concentrating in voice, Emmaline will soon begin her first student teacher placement working with K-5th grade students at Liberty Elementary School in Valley Cottage, NY. In November, her second placement will take her abroad for six and a half weeks to the International Christian School in Hong Kong. She credits School of Music professor and internationally known performing artist Dr. Tammy Lum with landing this second placement. During their travels for Chamberfest Asia, a cultural exchange performance tour and global service-learning trip offered to advanced level music students, Dr. Lum encouraged Emmaline to pursue
Prior to the September launch of iSucceed, music faculty attended four days of training, including a two-day “boot camp” in May. Before 2015-2016 classes begin, faculty will take a refresher course and attend a seminar led by an Apple Professional Development Specialist.
Jennifer Scott, School of Music administrative assistant and director of the Handbell Choir and Women's Chorale, says “We've begun the task of turning our physical music into PDFs so that they can be uploaded to the student's iPads where they'll be able to use the app, ForScore, to mark up their music. What's really nice is we're learning right along with the students. We’re also thrilled to be the first Nyack division to go paperless!”
To learn more about iSucceed at Nyack College, click here.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>