Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary celebrated its 2015 commencement by conferring doctoral, master’s, bachelor’s and associate’s degrees upon the College’s 132nd graduating class on Saturday, May 9 at Westchester County Center.
Four hundred and thirty-three undergraduate degrees were conferred by President Michael G. Scales, who presided over the ceremony along with Dr. David Turk, the school’s provost. Joining the undergraduates were 266 recipients of master’s degrees from the College’s graduate programs and seminary as well as 10 recipients of the Doctor of Ministry degree of Alliance Theological Seminary. Another 16 students at our extension site in Puerto Rico received master’s degrees on May 15.
“Every commencement ceremony is a confirmation,” explained President Scales. “For graduates of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary, what is confirmed is a calling to serve people wherever the need is found. This is the legacy of our founder, Dr. A.B. Simpson.”
Along with degrees granted to Nyack and ATS students, the College conferred three honorary Doctor of Letters degrees. Receiving this honor were Dr. Frances E. Pratt, a champion for civil rights and a former registered nurse at Nyack Hospital and president of the Nyack branch of the NAACP; Datuk Dr. Edward Ong, accomplished builder and property developer, whose projects benefit and employ thousands throughout Southeast Asia; and Dr. Juan Hernandez, author, scholar, political advisor and pioneer in the development of Mexico-U.S. relations. These honorees join 24 other men and women who have been inducted into the Nyack College President’s Hall of Distinction since 2008.
Visit our gallery of Commencement Week photos from our hoodings, baccalaureates, pinning, President's brunch, and graduation ceremony here.
* Homepage photo credit: Maggie Andresen for The Journal News
** Blog post photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Save the DAte for Nyack's School of Music Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Browse Blog Archive>>