A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
Alliance Theological Seminary in Rockland County was the venue for the recent fifth annual Crossing Over Ceremony for female students in their senior year at Nyack College Rockland County.
Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, developed a unique rite of passage program, called “Woman” based on her soon-to-be-released book, The Book of Womanhood. Dr. Abdallah’s text covered woman’s relationship with God, self, others, and creation. This year a record number 25 women completed the course, which represented a financial and time investment in themselves outside of the course load required of the final year of their individual undergraduate degree programs. Dean of Students Wanda Velez and alumna Christina Wolfe joined Dr. Abdallah as lead instructors, who were supported by a group of mentors from Nyack faculty and staff.
Before an audience of family, friends, faculty, and mentors, each woman expressed her nine-month journey through a creative project which ranged from original songs, poetry, paintings, and pottery. The personal transformation was apparent in their words as well as in their laughter and their tears.
For more information about the program and The Book of Womanhood, contact Dr. Abdallah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>