A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
Alliance Theological Seminary in Rockland County was the venue for the recent fifth annual Crossing Over Ceremony for female students in their senior year at Nyack College Rockland County.
Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, developed a unique rite of passage program, called “Woman” based on her soon-to-be-released book, The Book of Womanhood. Dr. Abdallah’s text covered woman’s relationship with God, self, others, and creation. This year a record number 25 women completed the course, which represented a financial and time investment in themselves outside of the course load required of the final year of their individual undergraduate degree programs. Dean of Students Wanda Velez and alumna Christina Wolfe joined Dr. Abdallah as lead instructors, who were supported by a group of mentors from Nyack faculty and staff.
Before an audience of family, friends, faculty, and mentors, each woman expressed her nine-month journey through a creative project which ranged from original songs, poetry, paintings, and pottery. The personal transformation was apparent in their words as well as in their laughter and their tears.
For more information about the program and The Book of Womanhood, contact Dr. Abdallah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>