A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
Alliance Theological Seminary in Rockland County was the venue for the recent fifth annual Crossing Over Ceremony for female students in their senior year at Nyack College Rockland County.
Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, developed a unique rite of passage program, called “Woman” based on her soon-to-be-released book, The Book of Womanhood. Dr. Abdallah’s text covered woman’s relationship with God, self, others, and creation. This year a record number 25 women completed the course, which represented a financial and time investment in themselves outside of the course load required of the final year of their individual undergraduate degree programs. Dean of Students Wanda Velez and alumna Christina Wolfe joined Dr. Abdallah as lead instructors, who were supported by a group of mentors from Nyack faculty and staff.
Before an audience of family, friends, faculty, and mentors, each woman expressed her nine-month journey through a creative project which ranged from original songs, poetry, paintings, and pottery. The personal transformation was apparent in their words as well as in their laughter and their tears.
For more information about the program and The Book of Womanhood, contact Dr. Abdallah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- Browse Blog Archive>>