A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
Alliance Theological Seminary in Rockland County was the venue for the recent fifth annual Crossing Over Ceremony for female students in their senior year at Nyack College Rockland County.
Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, developed a unique rite of passage program, called “Woman” based on her soon-to-be-released book, The Book of Womanhood. Dr. Abdallah’s text covered woman’s relationship with God, self, others, and creation. This year a record number 25 women completed the course, which represented a financial and time investment in themselves outside of the course load required of the final year of their individual undergraduate degree programs. Dean of Students Wanda Velez and alumna Christina Wolfe joined Dr. Abdallah as lead instructors, who were supported by a group of mentors from Nyack faculty and staff.
Before an audience of family, friends, faculty, and mentors, each woman expressed her nine-month journey through a creative project which ranged from original songs, poetry, paintings, and pottery. The personal transformation was apparent in their words as well as in their laughter and their tears.
For more information about the program and The Book of Womanhood, contact Dr. Abdallah at email@example.com.
- Remembering Robin Luce
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Browse Blog Archive>>